threading

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Just wondering what plastics DON'T thread well. I know from using it that acrylic acetate threads fine - but what else will and will not work for me?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

PR can be brittle and not the easiest to work with. It DOES thread, just not easily. Alumilite threads just as easy as acrylic acetate. Inlace acrylester is WORSE than PR so I wouldn't bother with it. In the box I sent you there's some PR but mostly alumilite since I knew your plans for it.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Ebonite is one of the easiet to thread for me with taps and dies, but there are ways to thread just about anything - even wood. Sometimes just needs some creativity. And there's always the option of inserts of easily threadable materials.

drgoretex

Pretty much the above. Acrylic = easy. Polyresin = OK with a little experimentation (make your tenon smaller than you normally would, and make sure the resin is warm). Inlace acrylester = don't bother unless you want to test the extent of your expletive repertoire. Ebonite = Ooooooooh, yeah...

Ken

alphageek

Former Moderator

watch_art

Thanks! Yeah I saw that post the other day. Really cool stuff. I've worked with it while resaccing a couple old Sheaffers and some other pens, I know too much heat will warp it, but can't recall hearing about how it threads.

Top Bottom