Thin Leopard Wood Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hotblanks

hotblanks

Just getting back into pen and bowl turning. I really like how this one turned out.

Thanks for looking, Randy.

leo1.jpg

leo2.jpg

leo3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow !! That is certainly an eye catcher.:good::good: I don't think I've heard of or ever seen leopard wood before. That wood looks like it could make interesting pens too. How big is the bowl?

alamocdc

Wow is right! That has a stunning look, Randy! And when you said thin, you meant thin! Great job!

Steven, Leopardwood does make interesting looking pens. Though most are not cut on the bias so the grain structure doesn't appear as striking as what you see here.

This was made from leopardwood (the board I took the blank from was incorrectly labeled as lacewood):

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/1174/1_baron_platRB_lacewood2.jpg

Last edited:

mhbeauford

WOW! Stunning bowl and excellent craftsmanship. I've turned lots bowls, but never Leopardwood. Now I will have to give it a try if I can find it. Again, Beautiful Bowl.

broitblat

+1 on the Wow -- the grain sure pops a lot more on that bowl than on any leopardwood pen I've ever turned. Nicely done done on the turning, of course, too.

-Barry

Joe S.

I like it! Impressive grain and nice bottom, mine always have a little mortise on the bottom because I don't have flat jaws yet.

Randy, that is a very impressive pattern on that super bowl.

I am going to "try" to make my first bowl next week.

Ray

Do, or do not. There is no "try". :biggrin:

Once you get it, bowls are addictive!

crabcreekind

Wow is right! That has a stunning look, Randy! And when you said thin, you meant thin! Great job!

Steven, Leopardwood does make interesting looking pens. Though most are not cut on the bias so the grain structure doesn't appear as striking as what you see here.

This was made from leopardwood (the board I took the blank from was incorrectly labeled as lacewood):

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/1174/1_baron_platRB_lacewood2.jpg

Leopardwood and lacewood are the same thing.

Btw very nice bowl!

alamocdc

Leopardwood and lacewood are the same thing.

Btw very nice bowl!

Not to be argumentative, but actually, it isn't the same at all. Leopardwood is more dense and heavier than Lacewood and comes from a tree (Flindersia maculosa) in the Citrus family. Lacewood comes from Cardwellia sublimis and has woody fruits. The only thing they have in common is Australia.:wink:

Top Bottom