Thick Enduro to save pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bybon

I had a beautiful piece of box elder I was saving for just the right pen. Unfortunately, I turned the blank about .010 undersized. I had hoped to salvage this blank by applying thick coats of sealer and finish. Presently, the finish looks very good and has sanded to the correct diameters. But the finish is fairly "soft". As Enduro continues to cure, will the hardness increase? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Vance,

Yes, it will continue to harden. I have had a few pens with too thick a finish of enduro or unoxal develop cracks in the finish after a relatively short period of use. For future reference, you likely would do better with CA to build up a finish.

woody350ep

+1 to the CA buildup. In fact, I just did that this week with success. My necessity was just a bit different, but the concept was the same

leehljp

Member Liaison
+2 on the CA build up. And a hint since it is winter - it helps if the CA, the blank and the surrounding room are 70° F and above.

Since you only have .01 to build up, that is not too much. Just be patient with it. If you are not in a hurry for it, go to the next Dallas IAP chapter meeting and ask for some help! Don't tell them that I suggested it! :wink:

bybon

Thanks a bunch gentlemen. I shall keep a careful eye one this pen and hold it back from purchase. The next time I shall use the CA method. A Dallas IAP chapter... I will search the site. Again, thanks.
Vance

Top Bottom