Thermoelastic Polymer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I was searching thru some ebay auctions on gun grips and came across this auction

Colt Kimber Springfield 1911 Mason Smooth Ivory Blue | eBay

they mention " fabricated from Thermoelastic Polymer(a secret blend) which handles extremely well in extreme heat and cold " and
"The MASON Symbols are inlayed into the grips with Blue Acrilon,"

what is Thermoelastic Polymer(a secret blend) and Blue Acrilon?

PTsideshow

Sounds like e bay sales hype BS,
Thermoelastic Polymer(a secret blend)
it can be any formula from hard cross linked polymer, to rubber blends (think tires) all it means is that it handles changes in temperatures with little noticeable expansion/contraction.
I would think that it is the same material that is sold as faux ivory by our vendors and the most common use is for scrimshaw, billiard/pool balls, since they need not to change size with temperature changes.
Blue Acrilon
Acrilon TM is a trademarked product.

A clear UV stable one component coating and primer 100% acrylic water based compound. A water based, non-yellowing, clear primer/sealer which assures bonding of paints, epoxies, urethanes and diverse materials to concrete, plaster, fiberglass, plastics, wood and metals.

More than likely it is dyed blue and used as a filler.

In the arts and craft community the word is used as a name of a poly fiber fill material the stuff in stuffed toys and pillows.

It is common for crafts people that don't want to share either materials, processes or techniques to use buzz words that sound good. Can't really say they are not telling the truth since there are 1,000's of formulas for plastics, adhesives etc. designed to do different things.
:clown:

healeydays

My father was a research plastics engineer specializing in resins and when I would go with him on weekends to his lab to watch him work, he would be at the table mixing all types of resins testing this or that. I soon realized during his experiments, a AHA moment would happen and he would find that unusual properties would happen that might not be what this specific client was looking for, but might be just what someone else might use. So forget about thousands of formulas, think 100 of thousands of formulas and it might be one small molecule different. That's why the patent office can't keep up and patents get issued for the stupidest things.

I just wish my Dad was around to see what folks are using resins for today. He'd be having a field day...

Top Bottom