Cloudy yellow PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Went to pour some blanks today and my PR was cloudy and yellow. Just used some of it last week end and it was fine. Been sitting on the shelf in the utility room. Any ideas?

Kenny Durrant

When I called to ask about different brands of pr the makers of silmar 41 said that the main thing is to make sure the pr is fresh. They said that the resin has a 3 month shelf life. It seems I remember reading somewhere that if it set too long to shake the product before using. I guess the only sure way to tell would be to mix some in a cup and see if it sets and drys clear. If it sets but it's not clear it would depend on what you are using it for.

PenMan1

Kent:
I was given a partial gallon of S41 that was yellow. I did a couple of test pours with the resin. With the MEKP that came with the resin, it took forever to harden and in a clear pour, the resin remained (and still is) yellow.

I did a couple of other tests using new MEKP. After 2 days, the resin hardened adequately and turned fine. Rather than tossing the resin, I embedded some 7mm tubes and turned the yellowed resin into barrel trimmer sleeves.

I also added some black pigment and tried to use it for opaque blanks. It worked, but the black was not as vibrant as with "fresh" PR.

I'm still using the PR for projects "not for sale" etc., simply because I hate to throw away anything. It works fine for those projects. IMHO, "air" in the resin causes almost as many headaches as hot or extremely cold temperatures.

reddwil

When I called to ask about different brands of pr the makers of silmar 41 said that the main thing is to make sure the pr is fresh. They said that the resin has a 3 month shelf life. It seems I remember reading somewhere that if it set too long to shake the product before using. I guess the only sure way to tell would be to mix some in a cup and see if it sets and drys clear. If it sets but it's not clear it would depend on what you are using it for.

Kenny, I just had a conversation with the guys at US Composites and said the exact same thing to me. The guy said to shake the fool out of it for about 5 minutes and do some test pours. As long as it sets up good it should be fine for color pours but still may have yellowish ting on clear pours. He did suggest using it up fast since this was a sure sign it was going bad.

Top Bottom