There Are Many Like it... but this one is MINE :~)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yort81

In the Seattle area.... South Bend lathes come up seldom...and when they do... they go for a premium price and they go quickly! I paid $450 for this one ... and it cam with nothing... and it came bare...lol (no chuck... no tool holder or tooling... wrench, thread dial etc) It did have the counter pulley and a motor that may or may not work.

First up... the ugly.... I knew the 80tooth idler gear had a chipped tooth... but when i got her home and took off the bull gear guard... there was a tooth missing on the back gear~small gear. The Bed was dinged up around the chuck area.. and a chip or two here and there... all in all....I dont think to bad...(ive never run a metal lathe ... and this is my first to own one). Someone has recently try to do a drunken home paint job on it.... so i might strip the whole thing down and see if i cant get rid of some of the rough spots and smooth things out with one color....(it needs to be pretty...yes?)

This weekend i'll begin stripping it down....I have purchased the "rebuild" kit from "FleaBay"... with the manual and the oiler felts as well as the new thrust bearing kit and some new oil gits...(there was a broken one on the gearbox)

Currently...im checking with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop to see if he can repair the missing tooth on the back gear.

One thing that is perplexing to me... is the tail stock spindle spins.... rotates when i try to crank it out or in....and will not work unless i hold it in position and then crank...so i took it apart and looked at it.... it seems to be missing the long key... but...i dont see how that keeps it from spinning in the tail stock... because the main casting doesnt have a slot/keyway for it to ride in like the spindle does....it's just a smooth bore.... and the manual doesnt have an exploded view of how that is supposed to work.... so if someone has some help for me here...I sure would appreciate it....

I am not terribly sure what im going to do for a chuck... I will initially be using this to turn metal pens...(ive been doing it on my grizzly wood lathe up till now...and it's tiring) the largest stock i will be turning to begin with will be 3/4 round stock to begin with (some stainless...i hope too) and ive been looking at a Beall Collet chuck and a set of ER 32 Collets (is that possible with the southbend 9?)

Also in conjunction with the chuck.... I'll need to get a tool holder and some tooling..... someone suggested the Diamond Tool Holder from a guy that makes them in Australia...(wow...almost $200) and I still have to buy a tool post too.... So... any and all help and advice would be most appreciated

Thank you .... Troy​

Attachments

• FrontView.jpg
    FrontView.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 414
  • EndView.jpg
    EndView.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Bed.jpg
    Bed.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Motor&Pully.jpg
    Motor&Pully.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 241
  • BrokenTooth.jpg
    BrokenTooth.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 344
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yort81

Is that a broken gear in the last photo?

Yes sir :frown: it is a sheared tooth.... it was one of the surprises for me after i got it home :)

Im currently checking with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop to see if he can fix it at a reasonable price... and I have been combing ebay to see if i can find one...( i did find one... but it was purchased with buy it now...AS I WAS LOOKING AT IT...hahahaha... it went for $175 (including the shipping)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I believe there is a guide pin for your tails stock quill that rides in the slot and keeps it from spinning. It may be shorn off or missing entirely

yort81

I believe there is a guide pin for your tails stock quill that rides in the slot and keeps it from spinning. It may be shorn off or missing entirely

I agree....I know there should be a square key that rides in the quill/spindle on the bottom... but the casting/housing is perfectly round with no keyway/slot for the key to ride in...to keep it from turning... there is a 1/4inch hole on the housing that comes from underneath the quill... but it is not threaded.... just a smooth hole...it's kind of baffling ...

PenPal

Troy,

Here in Australia from pre WW2 until a few years ago the maker of your lathe and Hercus in Australia made identical lathes mine is a Hercus.

I do have some pics of accessories, mine made in 1967 Model A 9 inch swing.

This evening I will send on this post some pics to show my lathe and accessories including 4 diff tool holders, methods.

If you on the Internet look up the vU Beaut forum in Australia they have a Hercus section as well as metalwork section, lots to see and learn there as well.

Be in touch later in fact if you pm me with your E Masil I will send pics etc to your E Mail.

Kind regards Peter.

Penultimate

Very nice, good luck with the restoration. I learned on a Southbend nine and my Dad makes pens on it.
Southbend is up and running they may be able to help with parts.. IIRC it was purchased by the president of Grizzly. They have all the old serial # records. South Bend Lathe Co.

yort81

Thank you all for the kind encouragement...im looking forward to getting started this weekend....and stripping paint ect.

If anyone has any information that could help me... PLEASE do let me know :~)

Thank You

Troy

yort81

It looks like a small key shaft with a pin in it that fits in the hole.

http://www.lathetalk.com/library/tm-9-3416-235-14&P_DeptofArmyLatheManual.pdf
take a look.

That is what i was thinking..... but it doesnt really show or articulate what happens with that pin or what holds it in... is it a smooth sided screw that screws into the key...and holds the key in place... and thus holds the quill from rotating...

QC Tool Posts: QCTP Sets - LittleMachineShop.com
quick change tool post holder.

Wow...some great prices there!.... but I am TOTALLY IGNORANT.... Which one of those should i get for me... and my south bend 9?

Top Bottom