HiTorque 7x12 or MicroLux 7x16

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Traguh

I'm looking at buying one of these lathes but I'm not sure on which one to get. I've heard some good things about the MicroLux but the HiTorque on sale with the tool package looks really good. This will be my first metal lathe so any input will be greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

One thing to consider is the actual working room between centers. After you add a chuck and live center or drill chuck plus drill bit, the 7x12 will have less actual distance for the work item.

Ed McDonnell

Don't forget to consider shipping costs. There is a big difference between the two vendors you are looking at. Longer bed + lower shipping costs + summer sale prices might make the MicroLux look a little better to you.

Ed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am very pleased with the 7x16 I recently acquired from MicroMark Which is also on sale until Sept. 5 As said above, the extra bed length is a big plus. I was able to get a QCTP with 6 holders on ebay for $66.00, as well as a set of Indexible cutting tools for $32.00

bitshird

I have larger lathes but I want a small one, and I've been eying the 7x16 micromark, I lke the forward and reverse feed, and it is on of the better lathes made by Sieg (odd name for an oriental company) but with a deal like chuck got a quick change tool post and 6 tool holders for 66.00 do it. I believe they both have the same power and infinite speed control.
One thing I don't know if what is the minimum feed per revolution, This will make all the difference in the world, to my mind as a machinist, I would want no more than .0005 as the minimum linear feed and about the same on the cross feed. as for the max feed somewhere around.003 to .005 per revolution for roughing . they look very well made, not a lot of plastic and I believe the bedways are induction hardened as are the 7x12Don't get me wrong, both are good, but the extra bed length will make a big difference, more to clean the grease off of but noting like a tear down to aquatint you with your machine .
I do believe you can purchase bed extensions for the 7x12 and most likely the 7x16, since i believe both are made br sieg, and they do make some good equipment.
But the main deciding factor for me would be the amount of travel on the lateral feed, the finer the better.

bluwolf

I have larger lathes but I want a small one, and I've been eying the 7x16 micromark, I lke the forward and reverse feed, and it is on of the better lathes made by Sieg (odd name for an oriental company) but with a deal like chuck got a quick change tool post and 6 tool holders for 66.00 do it. I believe they both have the same power and infinite speed control.
One thing I don't know if what is the minimum feed per revolution, This will make all the difference in the world, to my mind as a machinist, I would want no more than .0005 as the minimum linear feed and about the same on the cross feed. as for the max feed somewhere around.003 to .005 per revolution for roughing . they look very well made, not a lot of plastic and I believe the bedways are induction hardened as are the 7x12Don't get me wrong, both are good, but the extra bed length will make a big difference, more to clean the grease off of but noting like a tear down to aquatint you with your machine .
I do believe you can purchase bed extensions for the 7x12 and most likely the 7x16, since i believe both are made br sieg, and they do make some good equipment.
But the main deciding factor for me would be the amount of travel on the lateral feed, the finer the better.

Ken, I don't if they've changed (I don't think so) but there is no min/max on the feed. It is what it is, and is tied to the RPM. The higher the RPM the faster the feed rate. For those smarter than me there may be a way to switch some of the gearing to lower the feed rate but I never figured it out on my 7x12. I agree with you though, that was one of my criteria when I moved up in size.

Mike

bluwolf

I'm looking at buying one of these lathes but I'm not sure on which one to get. I've heard some good things about the MicroLux but the HiTorque on sale with the tool package looks really good. This will be my first metal lathe so any input will be greatly appreciated!

It's a tough call. My only advice would be that if you choose the Microlux, buy all your tooling from LMS. The quality is better and their knowledge and experience is much higher than Micromark when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ken, I have good news. There is no grease to clean off anymore. My lathe came with an oil coating, much like 3 in 1 oil. Still, I wiped in down, and used white lithium where I thought it should be needed.

I hate to sound like a sales person, but I am extremely happy with this new lathe. I'm going out and make a pen.:biggrin:

azamiryou

These lathes are essentially the same lathe from the same manufacturer, so the differences between them are well represented in the specs. LittleMachineShop has a handy comparison:

Mini Lathe Comparison - LittleMachineShop.com

Bed length is the primary difference. I have the HiTorque 7x12, and I find the bed length plenty for penmaking. Obviously, longer allows for more flexibility in projects.

The other key difference is that the Micromark's compound and cross are in inches rather than mm; a complete turn of the crank will advance the slide .050" on the MicroLux, but 1 mm (~.040") on the HiTorque. So the HiTorque slides move slower, but the MicroLux allows for extremely accurate cuts in inches. In my opinion, this is not particularly important - but to the extent it is, mm is better for penmaking.

One thing I don't know if what is the minimum feed per revolution, This will make all the difference in the world, to my mind as a machinist, I would want no more than .0005 as the minimum linear feed and about the same on the cross feed. as for the max feed somewhere around.003 to .005 per revolution for roughing.

The HiTorque - and I assume the MicroLux as well - comes with gears from 20 to 80 teeth. This allows the lead screw to turn - at the slowest - 1/16 the RPM of the spindle. The lead screw is 16 TPI, so the power feed advances about .0039" per revolution. The cross and compound aren't powered, so they can feed just as slow or fast as you can crank 'em. The dials are marked in .001" increments (actually .025mm=~.00098" on the HiTorque).

Traguh

Well I went with the MicroMark 7x16. The price and the extra 4 inches of turning space convinced not to mention the HUGE difference in shipping! Thanks for all your input I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get elbow deep in this thing.

azamiryou

Have fun! Remember, since all the 7x are pretty much the same machine, accessories for any of them will work with yours. Little Machine Shop has lots of great reference info on their site, and you can easily check any of their products for compatibility.

Traguh

Ok I have a new question about the 7 x 16. If I get a collet chuck to accept my er-32 collets do I need a drawbar or a backplate? If either will work which is most recommended? Thanks in advance!

azamiryou

Ok I have a new question about the 7 x 16. If I get a collet chuck to accept my er-32 collets do I need a drawbar or a backplate? If either will work which is most recommended? Thanks in advance!

The bolt-on type allow stock to pass through your head stock.

If you get the bolt-on type, I recommend getting a set of studs and nuts to replace the bolts. The bolts go on from the back, and there's not much space back there...

Top Bottom