The vortex got me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowchaser

Well, after much research, price comparing and everything else I finally did it. Just ordered my Jet mini VS. Also went and ordered the stand. Went through Amazon and even though the lathe was not on sale the stand was for 107.00, plus I got another 20% since it was an accessory. Ended being 85.00. I think that makes up for the lathe not being on sale.

Now to find a good set of chisels to start. Any suggestions? Also will be ordering a live center and a mandrel that does not require a chuck. I know there are other things that I need, but I can't seem to remember any of it. Any help with what else I need would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Milpaul

Just got a jet mini myself and you won't be disappointed. Harbor Freight has a decent set of lathe tools at a good price (they say Windsor Design) that work well and are long enough to give you room for sharpening practice.

neon007

When I started turning I got 2 sets of Pinnacle chisels. A full size set and a small set for more fine work. There are 7 tools in the set. Don't remember what I paid but you can look them up at www.woodcraft.com Since then I have not changed I really like them and the price is good. I have bought many more speciality chisels of other brands since, but still use them for everything. Hope this helps.

cowchaser

Just ordered a Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a wolverine sharpening jig. Won't need them till I actually buy some tools. Man when the wife sees the checkbook I am blaming Roy. Trying to spend my overtime and bonus before she gets it. :)

Originally posted by cowchaser
<br />Just ordered a Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a wolverine sharpening jig. Won't need them till I actually buy some tools. Man when the wife sees the checkbook I am blaming Roy. Trying to spend my overtime and bonus before she gets it. :)

IMHO The grinder is a good thing (to use with the Beale buffing system) but you should save your money with the wolverine and get a Jet or Tormek wet grinder. I HAD the wolverine. I NOW have a Jet with Tormek jigs. I can shave arm hair with ANY of my lathe tools that I sharpen with it.

OKLAHOMAN

I just love spending someone else's money HE![:D]HE!
Originally posted by cowchaser
<br />Just ordered a Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a wolverine sharpening jig. Won't need them till I actually buy some tools. Man when the wife sees the checkbook I am blaming Roy. Trying to spend my overtime and bonus before she gets it. :)

Buzz

My suggestion would be to start with one of the cheap Taiwanese sets of chisels. I did this until I became reasonably competent at sharpening, and am adding to the collection with good quality chisels now that I am sure I am not going to waste a lot of steel on the grinder. The Jet mini is a great lathe, although I don't have the variable speed which would be nice.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Get the M2 HSS chisel set from Harbor Freight for 35 bucks - less if you can find a coupon (they're everywhere, just google it)...

Full set of chisels, good steel, and good handles...plus, you don't have to worry about messing up a Kryo bowl gouge while you learn to sharpen!

Highly recommend the Harbor Freight set to start! Add as you need, after that. I'm up to 12, so far...a pittance compared to some on here, I'm sure!

Rmartin

I think you made a good choice with the Jet. I love mine. I would list the tools and stuff I've bought over the past year, but I wouldn't want to scare you!

Rmartin

cowchaser

Thanks for the suggestions. After much searching I finally found the ones on Harbor Freight. Took some creative wording to get the search engine to find it. Never did find the Pinnacles on Woodcraft. Also got my live center ordered from LMS. Ordered the 1189 model. Hope that's the right one for a jet mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom