Thanks to Doc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Eyeshooter

Eyeshooter

I had this pen "drying" on the lathe last night when I read Doc's CA finish regimen. I had yet to try wet sanding and, based on the results we keep seeing on Doc's pens, I decided to try it. As I still have not set up a photo booth, these shots use only the light in my shop and do not show the beautiful finish achieved by following Doc's instructions. I feel it's the best finish I've achieved on my pens.

This is my 1st Statesman. The blank is Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl. It was dry sanded to 12,000, 6 coats of medium CA, lightly touched with 600 sandpaper and then wet sanded from 1800 - 12000 and 2 coats Hut Plastic Wax . Not quite Doc's regimen but the pen was already "in progress".

I continue to thank you all for sharing your techniques with the rest of us. I need more CA before I can try CharlesH 20 coat technique!

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• Statesman TEB2.jpg
    Statesman TEB2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Statesman TEB3.jpg
    Statesman TEB3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Statesman Tas.jpg
    Statesman Tas.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

John, No need to thank me but I appreciate the gesture. I learned pretty much everything I know from the folks on IAP.
The most important part of this post is your beautiful pen which is with a wood that I have never seen before. That burl wood is gorgeous and you have done a great job presenting it on the Jr. Statesman. Finish looks great. Thank you for showing!
Is that a piece of Burl that you took two of the pictures on? Regards, Doc

Eyeshooter

Hi, Doc.

Yes, sir! The background is a slab of Buckeye Burl that was given to me. Until I decide what to make with it I thought I'd put it to use in a few photos.

Cheers,

John

John, No need to thank me but I appreciate the gesture. I learned pretty much everything I know from the folks on IAP.
The most important part of this post is your beautiful pen which is with a wood that I have never seen before. That burl wood is gorgeous and you have done a great job presenting it on the Jr. Statesman. Finish looks great. Thank you for showing!
Is that a piece of Burl that you took two of the pictures on? Regards, Doc

Top Bottom