Textured Birch Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Birch Bowl, Textured and Airbrushed. Around 8" (20 cm) across. Finished with waterborne lacquer.

Attachments

• Textured Birch 01a.jpg
    Textured Birch 01a.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Textured Birch 01b.jpg
    Textured Birch 01b.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Happen to have a photo showing the inside?

Been wondering if I'd be to crazy to go drop a few Red Birch(Betula occidentalis), they seem to grow close to streams{not a big fan of snakes and I'd bet good cash they will be a few around the water}.

Was this 'texturing' a spray can texture? Brushed on? Inquiring minds.....

Scott (pretty neat on the outside) B

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks all,

It is about 2 1/2" (6 cm) tall

All of the colors are Golden Acrylics.

The inside is a yellow at the bottom to red at the rim fade using transparent acrylic airbrush colors so you can see the underlying wood patterns.

In retrospect, I think I should have applied a hint of shading grey at the rim to give it more visual impact.

The outside is Golden Carbon Black opaque acrylic thinned with Transparent Extender.

I almost always try to ensure that some major portion of the woodturning is either natural wood, or use transparent acrylics / dyes. I want it to be clear that the piece really is wood, even if it has been vividly colored.

The texturing is done with a rotary tool, I use an Optima micromotor, but a Dremel would work too. I used a cheap diamond cutoff wheel from Harbor Freight in the tool to do the texturing, just lightly scoring the surface in intersecting arcs. I used a wire brush lightly to remove dust from the scoring then airbrushed the carbon black over it.

I had been tempted to use something like India ink but the piece was so thin that I was afraid it would weep to the inside, I also rejected Black Gesso which I have used in the past as I felt it would reduce the effect of the texturing. That left me with very light coats of thinned Carbon Black which did not reduce the texturing.

Most textured pieces I see tend to have a flat or no finish, but I did not want to risk the black being scratched so I tried an experiment and sprayed waterborne lacquer over it in the hope that the reflection patterns would add visual interest. I think the experiment worked reasonably well as when you hold it and move it around light reflects on the facets in a shifting pattern.

Airbrush was an Iwata HP-CS with the stock 0.35 mm needle replaced with a 0.50 mm needle to allow me to more easily airbrush thicker paints or larger particle mica tints.

Spray-gun is an Asturo conversion HVLP

Finish is Target Coatings EM6000 Clear Gloss

Happen to have a photo showing the inside?

Been wondering if I'd be to crazy to go drop a few Red Birch(Betula occidentalis), they seem to grow close to streams{not a big fan of snakes and I'd bet good cash they will be a few around the water}.

Was this 'texturing' a spray can texture? Brushed on? Inquiring minds.....

Scott (pretty neat on the outside) B

Attachments

• Textured Birch 01c.jpg
    Textured Birch 01c.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom