Texas Speckled Trout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodgraver

woodgraver

I met a lady that lives in Houston at a Knowledge Management conference a few years back. We have become great friends and I recently found out that she and her husband have a vacation home down near Kingsville that they share with three other couples. They call the house the "4 Wives", haven't gotten the details on that yet but I can only imagine. Anyway, I am learning how to use my new CNC machine so she humored me and allowed me to make them a sign. Originally it started with a cowboy hat on but she said they were more "fishermen" than cowboys. I asked what the caught...she said well, they try to catch Speckled Trout. I found a royalty free image of a trout, converted it to a 3D model as best I could, and merged it with the state of Texas. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it. Oh, the wood is Paduak...but I'm sure you already knew that.

Attachments

• DSC_0040_1.jpg
    DSC_0040_1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 376
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

That looks real neat.

Maybe only the wives hang out there and the husbands have a man cave behind.

Around here that sign would mean something entirely different. In the polygamous town up the road they have "The Many Wives Cafe."

woodgraver

That looks real neat.

Around here that sign would mean something entirely different. In the polygamous town up the road they have "The Many Wives Cafe."

Interesting, I read the book 'Under The Banner of Heaven' and it was eye opening, but I didn't realize they were close to you! I Love Page, Arizona! My siblings and I are planning a "house boat" vacation there next summer!!!

Jim

hanau

Looks good.
If you don't mind what cnc machine you using and what program are you using to convert your pic to a 3D model?

I have one of the carvewright machines. I am still working on making quality patterns.

woodgraver

Looks good.
If you don't mind what cnc machine you using and what program are you using to convert your pic to a 3D model?

I have one of the carvewright machines. I am still working on making quality patterns.

John, I have a Legacy Artisan and am using Aspire. It really does most of the work for you, importing a jpeg and converting it is just a couple of clicks. I did add a layer under it to give it a more rounded appearance. I don't know a lot about CNC as I'm just getting started, but a lot of the same principles for my laser engraver transfer over.

Jim

The Penguin

I would try to get some shading on your trout to help define it...and definitely get some on the spots.

I'd be proud to have a sign like that at my place!

seriph

I love it and can see you're going to have a LOT of fun .... I am currently starting my research on laser and CNC products and am frankly pretty overwhelmed by all the "apparently" different models available and of course, by the enormous price variation.

I need to be able to do 3D milling of small parts - pen barrels and clips etc. so I am trying to absorb as much info as I can - anyway, BACK on topic ... your trout looks amazing but I can't quite make out all the detail. I imagine it would be a considerable challenge to capture the details of the trout more highly but if it is helpful at all, I'd be pleased to try, using Photoshop if you wanted to send me through a couple of hi res pics.

Being an Aussie, I am unaware of that timber - is it indigenous to the region that the cabin is located?

Last edited:

Haynie

That looks real neat.

Interesting, I read the book 'Under The Banner of Heaven' and it was eye opening, but I didn't realize they were close to you! I Love Page, Arizona! My siblings and I are planning a "house boat" vacation there next summer!!!

Jim

House boats are strange beasts but can be a lot of fun for anyone but me. I get sea sick. If gas prices don't go down this is going to be a rough season.

Top Bottom