Testers wanted for Voice Chat Software. Tri-State Chapter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I am researching a voice chat software. 4 to 7 people are needed to test voice chat software. You must install some software for Windows or Mac on your computer.

You will need a microphone (headset microphone preferred but not required) and speakers.

The software has a free test period of 7 days so when the testers are set, I will activate the free trial period.

I am looking at this as a way to hold "Virtual Chapter Meetings" for the Tri-State Chapter. All members of IAP are welcome to join as a tester and after this is evaluated, we may open it to the entire membership.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

yea vent is a good one and so is teamspeak. I do some occassional online gaming in WOW and LOTRO and we use a vent server it works great. I have used teamspeak as well, but it isn't quite as good as vent I think.

Rob73

yea vent is a good one and so is teamspeak. I do some occassional online gaming in WOW and LOTRO and we use a vent server it works great. I have used teamspeak as well, but it isn't quite as good as vent I think.

Yeah, teamspeak is just horrid. I ran a 200 man pvp guild in wow (before it went carebear) and have run countless high end guilds in other games for a decade now. Vent is by far the best chat client I've ever used. I was just playing some LOTRO but quit after the annoucment they are moving to a F2P business model.

aggromere

Yea, me and my kid have characters in LOTRO and play occassionally. I was addicted to wow and have, or had, I cancelled my accounts, a level 80 of everything but a druid. I never could get that one figured out. My favorite was my Pally tank. Woo Hoo.

Rob73

If you looking at vent then your 'trial' must be a week trial for a server host I would assume. I would google the hosts name to see if there are a lot of complaints. I use typefrag.com for my provider never had any issues.

Post the login or send me a PM with the info I can test whenever. One suggestion -- don't forget to shut off the newbie key clicks. They drive people crazy :)

aggromere

I don't know where my headset and microphone is, but would try to help test. I really don't think you need to. As Rob said, I used to be into WOW big time. We could easily have over 40 people in one channel for raids. Half the people were stoned so we would mute them so you couldn't hear what they were saying.

Vent is reallly cheap and no contract. You might want to get a small 10 or 25 man capacity account and have the guys you are working with try it. It probably only costs 10 a month for a small server.

Mark

I just saw the thread. I use Skype a lot. It's free and and includes the voice and video you would need. I am away on vacation for at least two weeks (Maybe more, if things go well... If you decide to test it out I'm willing to help. I don't know about the other packages mentioned.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Later....

Rob73

Skype is nice for person to person or small scale chat. It's limited to 24 conference and with that many users at once does have a tendency to perform poorly. Last time I used it there is also no push to talk button since it's like a 'phone call'. Put more than a couple people in room with open mics and it is not a fun time. Kids screaming, dogs barking, birds squawking, angry spouses. Well.. ok sometimes it can be entertaining :)

soligen

I already have and use ventrilo all the time for EQ2 - as do other members of my family. It's been around for quite some time so should give you no problems.

If you are planning to run your own server, then you need to check your ISP bandwidth limitations. Many Consumer ISP offerings wont have the upload bandwidth for you to host more than a couple people at a time.

Consider buying a vent server subscription from a vent hosting company. Take the bandwidth and hacking issues off your plate. Here is the one we use:

http://www.instantventrilo.com/

If you want me to try to connect to your sever, send me a PM

Rob73

I already have and use ventrilo all the time for EQ2

Sony announced they making eq2 F2P business model. You ready for the influx of morons Soligen? .. I was just thinking of going back to that game too. So much for that. I can't stand the F2P crowd.

randyrls

If you are planning to run your own server, then you need to check your ISP bandwidth limitations. Many Consumer ISP offerings wont have the upload bandwidth for you to host more than a couple people at a time.

Dennis; I did check the Terms of Service for my Comcast account. "No servers" so that is out. They do permit P2P and Bittorent though. The bandwidth limit on my account is "Way up there" and when I checked late in July, I had only used 6% of the available monthly bandwidth.

Consider buying a vent server subscription from a vent hosting company. Take the bandwidth and hacking issues off your plate. Here is the one we use:

http://www.instantventrilo.com/

If you want me to try to connect to your sever, send me a PM

InstantVentrilo is what I was looking at..... I'm going to try to get this going this week. Life has been interfering in my play time! :)

randyrls

Ventrilo Setup Testing

The setup for Instant Ventrilo is complete. At present there is just a global password for access. We don't want to post the server or logon information in any public forum, because we'd be over-run by the internet cockroaches.

This is just a free trial for 5 days and limited to 5 connections at a time.

Can we have a meeting there on Wednesday and Thursday night at 9:00pm Eastern Daylight Time?

You will have to install the Ventrilo client software located here.
http://www.instantventrilo.com/download-ventrilo.php

Send randyrls a PM and I will send you the server and logon information.

randyrls

YAHOOO!!!!!!! No more crashes!!!

Ryan and Dennis; I managed to resolve my Ventrilo setup issues! No more crashes!!!!

I remembered I have a home automation system that has a USB connection. They recommend that the controller be unplugged from the USB computer connection unless you are actively programming the controller. The controller runs independently of the computer, but the last time I changed something I must have left it plugged in. I unplugged it and no more crashes!!!

RyanNJ

Ryan and Dennis; I managed to resolve my Ventrilo setup issues! No more crashes!!!!

I remembered I have a home automation system that has a USB connection. They recommend that the controller be unplugged from the USB computer connection unless you are actively programming the controller. The controller runs independently of the computer, but the last time I changed something I must have left it plugged in. I unplugged it and no more crashes!!!

that is good

Top Bottom