TEST YOUR SKILLS!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

What makes this Panache different from any other one you have seen? It's a Artisan Panache Rollerball Pen kit from Craft Supply USA with Black Chrome fittings. The blanks are Cocobolo finished in 8 coats of Thick CA. All original parts were used and nothing extra was added. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (282x640).jpg
    DSCF0001 (282x640).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCF0003 (254x640).jpg
    DSCF0003 (254x640).jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0005 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0005 (640x480).jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF0006 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0006 (640x480).jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

1. I've only seen a couple and none were in Cocobolo! 2. The others I've seen were finished with 10 coats of medium CA!:biggrin:

eliasbboy

Did you reverse it? The cap looks to be wider than the body section.

Looks great tho! I have yet to try those kits, but I want to.

jttheclockman

You reversed the bottom and top dimentions on the caps. If you did not use bushings then you measured the cap ends with your calipers. Either way it looks good. I think though these pens do not need bulges at all. I usually do a straight look or have done one with a concave design. that way it takes a bit of weight off it and gives a sleeker look. It is a pen that takes some getting used to and is only a desk pen.

plantman

:bananen_smilies051: Congrats to all !! You are all correct in one form or another. John T has the closest explaination of how it was done. Having seen several of these kits made up at a show last month, I didn't like the look or feel of the pens. I purchased several kits to see if I could do something with them. I changed the design to about a 60/40 ratio, with the large end being the cap instead of the hand piece. Now it fits much better in the hand, and looks more proportional when open. You can't just reverse the bushings ( if you bought them ) because the two tubes are different sizes. So my choise was to use standard bushings or turn on centers. I used bushing to fit the tubes and a calipers for the blank size. All four ends are different sizes. You need a 5 1/2" X 1" blank for this pen also, because the larger cap is 3/4" and the length of the pen is over 5"s. The alterations, besides the size of the end caps and them being reversed, were as follows. The large end cap with the small tube had to be super glued to the short blank. Remove the spring before you glue it on. The small cap needed to have the large part of the tube removed and filed flat, it's all one brass piece, then Super glued to the long blank. The middle fittings go in as designed. Place the spring in the long tube, screw on the nib section, and your ready to go. Make sure your grain lines up before you press in the coupler. I think the original design, when open, looks like a wooden stake used to slay vampires, and is very uncomfortable to hold. But than again I keep a lei of garlic hanging in the kitchen. As John T said, it is a desk pen and will stand on it's end upright. It is a great platform to start with however, and would lend itself to segmenting quite well ! I did this redo to show the newer turners that you don't have to conform to the style or size of the kit you purchased, but can add your own twist to the design. Thanks for your input and comments. Jim S

Last edited:

mick

Jim I actually don't like the shape of the pen when the top is turned to the diameter of the bushing. Looks way too small when closed. Out of portion. I'll turn it down to the diameter of the base of the pen and then either turn a cove down to the bushing or a slanted cut. You end up with a cap that has almost the diameter of the pen itself. Much more pleasing to the eye. IMHO
And if you turn the pen itself in a gentle curve up to the centerband it makes it more comfortable to hold if the customer has smaller hands.

plantman

Mick; The possabilites are endless for this pen. I wanted people to still be able to tell what the original kit was, without doing drastic changes to it. I am sure we will see some very innovating ideas done to this kit. Thank you for your ideas. Jim S

Top Bottom