Tap Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Ok, everyone seems to be out of M7.9x.6 taps for the #6 bock triple (section). I would love to get one. I did many different Google searches and I found something and I am wondering if it will work. The tap is a M7.9x.65 .
SO my question is, in this situation is 5 hundredths of a MM a big deal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

If you can get both the tap and die, then you can chase the threads with the die if there is a problem

I've used the 5/16 x 40, and it works if I chase the threads with the die.

hewunch

Thanks Roy, got it. Dennis, if I couldn't get the die you would pass then? I may look at a set of the 5/16 x 40s

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
One of the considerations on using a nonstandard tapand die set is what happens if the feed has to be replaced anytime in the future? If its in your possesion, no problem, what if you sold the pen? This may be a non issue to you but its worth considering.

soligen

Thanks Roy, got it. Dennis, if I couldn't get the die you would pass then? I may look at a set of the 5/16 x 40s

I would want the die too. All I can say for sure is that the 5/16 x 40 required chasing the threads.

Comapring TPI:

.65 is 39.07 TPI
SAE 40 is 40 TPI
.6 is 42.33 TPI

I like having both tap & die - just my preference. I've seen the proper tap at both Classic Nib and I think IPD, so if they are out, they will probably be re-stocked fairly soon.

soligen

One of the considerations on using a nonstandard tapand die set is what happens if the feed has to be replaced anytime in the future? If its in your possesion, no problem, what if you sold the pen? This may be a non issue to you but its worth considering.

Absolutely!! If i were selling, I would get the right tap, but I have never sold a kitless pen, so I choose to save some $ on tooling

watch_art

Why would the feed need to be replaced? Is the user hacking it to the point of dripping? I don't understand. I've never had one fail with regular use and don't see why one would. :confused:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If it was dropped, or sat on or for any reason it was broken. I dont doubt that you havent had a problem, but there are some rather "less than brillant" customers running around.

IPD_Mr

but there are some rather "less than brillant" customers running around.

Boy ain't that the truth. You can get some really OMG moments reading the blogs of some of the pen repair people.

You can fix the pen but you sure can't fix stupid.

Top Bottom