Talk about LOW!! Virulent Rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenMan1

On a funny note, I'd HATE to be that marketing guru that went rushing in with the idea to "re-brand" the EZ tools as an "exclusive" product.

It really is a dog-eat-dog world. Today is the marketing guru's day to wear the Milk Bone underpants:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

after reading all of the posts, and what people are saying....im going to play devils advocate on this one....

If you create a product(like the Woodchuck Pen Pro) and no one else on the market has a product like this out....wouldnt you copyright and trademark your item right away! I have looked through the site(the woodchuck-tools.com) and see nothing of copyright or trademark anywhere to be found! If you are going to create/invent a product, wouldnt you want to protect your investment! im not condoning the actions taken by CSUSA or anyone else...and im sure people are going to come down on me for this comment, but this is my opinion and I am entitled to it

Padre

I just started reading this, and I couldn't find the video on their site. Then I see they took it down. Good for them. It only took about 12 hours it seems, or less actually, because they weren't working last night. So from 8 this morning to noon, 4 hours, they made part of it right. That's cool.

On the other hand: I so totally sympathize with Ken on this. He has worked long and hard to establish a NAME for himself.

I think this is a good reminder for all of us to be very careful about what we call stuff, whether it be praise or criticism, and especially if we start to offer something for sale on this site. For example:
Pen Pro = Ken's Woodchuck
EWT, or Easy Tools = Craig's Easy Wood Tools
Resin Saver Molds = Charlie (NewLondon88)
Exotics = Exoticblanks.com (Ed and Dawn)
and on and on.

Like the Sarge used to say from one of my old favorite shows "let's be careful out there."

Last edited:

ericatcraft

Message from Darrel Nish at Craft Supplies USA

Dear IAP Members,

It has been brought to my attention that Woodchuck Lathe Tools is currently using the name Woodchuck Pen Pro for a carbide tipped tool like the Pen Pro we are currently advertising. I apologize to all for the chaos and speculation that has ensued regarding the Pen Pro and our use of the name. I spoke to Ken Ferrell this morning to apologize for the confusion and to resolve the Pen Pro name issue. I told Ken we will select a different name today and make the appropriate changes to our website, labeling, etc. For the IAP members, I would like to clarify a few things as speculation and blame are counterproductive for all.

1. Craft Supplies USA approached Easy Wood Tools to produce the Pen Pro Tool, which is simply a Ci2 Mini with a 2" radius cutter that we've sold for a couple of years in our pen turning booth at The Woodworking Shows. Craig Jackson/Easy Wood Tools is in no way responsible for the confusion surrounding the use of the Pen Pro name. Craft Supplies USA chose the name and asked Craig to produce the tool for us using this name.

2. Prior to deciding on the Pen Pro name, we searched the United States Patent Trademark Office trademark database to determine whether or not the name "Pen Pro" was registered or in use. After our USPTO search yielded no claim to the "Pen Pro" name and no results were found on Google searches under Pen Pro, we felt comfortable with proceeding with using the "Pen Pro" name.

3. As the owner and founder of Craft Supplies USA, which is a family-owned and operated business, I understand Ken's frustration with this situation and apologize for the anxiety and stress this has resulted. It was not our intention to infringe on Ken's business and we apologize for inadvertently having done so.

I understand the effort it takes to create a successful business and the accompanying frustration of seeing products "knocked off" as this situation first appeared to be. We wish Ken the best in business and appreciate his entrepreneurial spirit.

Best wishes to all IAP members

Darrel Nish
Owner- Craft Supplies USA

JerrySambrook

I too am going to play advocate here.

Ken, if you had done so in the first place, they would have been fine with fixing the issue, All you had to do was call them first.
The people at CSUSA are all very very decent people.

Once again, a whole lot of people join in a bashing sceme, without giving some credit to people who have done a lot for this community.
Also, your tool is no where near new or innovative.
I have owned a few from a place called New Edge Tools for well over 5 years now.

Great job guys. and I would not be suprised if they said the heck with this place in next years bash.

I wonder what would happen if the company Woodchuck, or Woodchuckers would say if they knew you were stealing their name, as both companies have been around for a while as well.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

Not to put down the CSUSA appolgy but ...
1. I searched "Pen Pro lathe tool" and the FIRST hit was Ken's site.
2. Being a member yourself since 2006 there is certainly no way you didn't know about or hear about the Pen Pro Ken offers. I have only been a member for a few months and have read lots about it.
3. Odds are the other CSUSA reps that come on here knew about it as well.

Good on CSUSA for changing the name, but I have my doubts CSUSA didn't know about the name.

AK

Last edited:

Russianwolf

For those that asked, A Trade Mark is similar to a Copyright in that it exists at inception regardless of registration. Registration just makes it easier to protect and is the only way to file for damages.

You can even register a trade mark and have to allow someone else the use if they were using it before you and continuously up to date. If they stop the use, then they can no longer use it. (Seen this happen in sports team names)

A trade mark isn't just the words, it's the words in relation to the subject. So Jerry, unless Woodchuck and Woodchuckers have anything to do with lathe tools, Ken is safe from them.

I'm getting to dang well versed on this stuff. :frown:

Padre

STOP PEOPLE!! STOP!!!!!

Ken voiced an opinion and frustration. He is a respected, well-liked member and vendor here.

CSUSA fixed it. They are a respected, well-liked vendor/member here.

Nuff said.

Last edited:

witz1976

Thank you Eric for passing along Mr. Nash's response to this issue.

I am a little curious however as you have been a member on this site since 2006, how come you or a representative did not approach Ken about CSUSA's desire for a pen pro type product as he has been advertising his Pen Pro since fall of 2009? (see Ken's thread on the business classifieds http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53620) Granted, Ken should have registered his products and tradenames, however as stated a simple google search would have directed everyone to Ken's site immediately. (and to be clear I have not owned or used either the Pen Pro or any of the Easy Wood Products so this is just a question)

In either case I am glad to see the issue is resolved and both parties are satisfied.

bitshird

Thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion, and thanks to Darrell Nish who handled this in a much better manner than I did, I have requested that the thread be locked or closed, I also would like to thank Eric for Posting Mr. Nish's explanation of the circumstances, So let's let this thing die a quiet peaceful end All is right in Mudville I mean Adamsville.

Russianwolf

Thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion, and thanks to Darrell Nish who handled this in a much better manner than I did, I have requested that the thread be locked or closed, I also would like to thank Eric for Posting Mr. Nish's explanation of the circumstances, So let's let this thing die a quiet peaceful end All is right in Mudville I mean Adamsville.

okay Ken, now get back to grinding my duplicator tool!!!!
:wink:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
As Ken has said, both parties are satisfied, and thus we should be as well.

If Ken considers the matter closed, that's good enough for me. Please refrain from allowing this thread to continue down a path it needs not take any further.

Andrew
assistant moderator

OKLAHOMAN

Great to hear that you and CSUSA worked it out, I always thought that they were a reputable company and now I know it. Wish you much sucess and thanks for clearing this up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom