Take a look at this article and the picture

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
0724edpenmanship.jpg

In an article on handwriting (read below) appears which (among other things) depicts
as "correct" an unbelievably bad and painful way of holding a pen
(and also a rather questionable way of holding one's writing-paper).

Specifically, the photograph (above) accompanying the article shows a right
hand with the index-finger bending backwards in the middle, and with
the writing-paper turned a full 90 degrees to the left, and calls this
"the correct way to write."

Anne Ryman
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

In an age of e-mail and text messaging, handwriting gets little attention.

But educators say it is an important skill that children need for academic reasons such as essay-writing on standardized tests, and for living their day-to-day lives long after school days are over.

"And people need to be able to read it," Anasazi Elementary Principal Jeff Quisberg said. advertisement

His Scottsdale school has found a new way to emphasize the importance of handwriting.

The school's parent-teacher group brings in a retired teacher to work with students on penmanship. Nicknamed the Cursive Queen by one class, Marilyn Harrer spends 10 to 20 minutes in classrooms and shows children how to hold a pencil, slant the paper and keep the elbow close to the body when they write.

Harrer, who began tutoring kids in math at the school after she retired in 1997, noticed that kindergartners didn't know how to hold their pencils. So she started to work with the kindergarten teachers and went into the classes once a week. This past school year, she also worked with third-graders on their switch to cursive writing.

"Even though we have computers today, I still feel there's a need for legible handwriting," she said.

It is important for children to be able to write a handwritten letter, she said. And later on in their school careers, they will have to write an essay for the state-mandated AIMS test and the college admission Stanford Achievement Test.

This past school year, one Anasazi student took her handwriting to greater heights. She and more than 200 other Anasazi students entered a national handwriting contest sponsored by Zaner-Bloser, an Ohio-based language arts and reading company.

Anasazi third-grader Olivia Rifai took the Arizona prize for her grade level.

The 8-year-old gets plenty of practice. She already has written her first 10-page adventure story, Ice Skating Chihuahua, and is at work on the sequel, Computer Madness, where the same dog gets stuck in a video game.

She has simple advice to kids who want to improve their handwriting.

"Practice," she said. "I just do it."

In fact, it takes only minutes every day to improve. Harrer recommends practicing at least 5 minutes a day.

Here are some tips to keep in mind:

The most common problem is children want to keep the paper straight when they write cursive because this is the way they leaned to print their letters. When writing cursive, slant the paper so the lower left-hand corner goes toward your tummy. If you are left-handed, tilt the paper the opposite way. Keep your elbow close to your body.

Sit with your feet flat on the floor. Keep your bottom to the back of the chair.

Many children grip the pencil with a thumb and two fingers, which is wrong. Sort of "pinch" the pencil with your index finger and your thumb and rest the pencil on your third finger. Kids often grip the pencil so hard their hand gets tired. The grip should be a little relaxed but not too loose.

Parents should emphasize repetition and correct their kids if they see them holding the paper or pencil wrong. Repetition sticks with the child. Children will develop their own writing style as they progress through the grades. But if they learn how to write correctly, their handwriting will still be legible as they go on through school, she said.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm not an expert but that looks like torture not teaching. I defy anyone to hold a pen/pencil that way and write for more than 15 minutes without their hand getting sore (and destroying a nib in the process). That's not the way my teachers taught me - but that was many many years ago.

tipusnr

Maybe the picture's flipped. Many of us left-handers have been writing that way for years! (Although I do flex the end digit on my index finger rather than having it bent backwards.)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Maybe the picture's flipped.

If the picture was filpped the lettering would be backwards. No?

Darley

Tom you're spot on, would like to talk to this person, or she should come here to teache some teachers,by next year I will teache my daugther to write with a dip pen ( she's 9 that would be fun), I suppose lots of members here write in they young school days with dip pen ( I did ), and you don't have the curved index as is smooth writing, the problem is here too, I see my children they even push the nib into the paper, so you can read 4 pages down

Ryan

Tom,

I hold my pen/pencil as pictured. This is how I taught in school. The paper I do not agree with, but what do I know?

Ryan

marjoe

That was the way I was taught to hold a pen in the middle 40's. We also had the inkwell in the cornor of the desk. If I write a couple of pages I start getting cramps in my fingers but I have a tendency to hold pens a little too tight. I do slant my paper with the cornor towards my belly.

Woodbutcher68

I hold a pen that way too, but my writing looks like I'm holding it in my fist. I guess I should have been a doctor. We had those inkwells in the desks in the 60's too....just wasn't any ink in them!

Randy_

That picture shows the exact method that I use to hold my pens and pencils. I do admit that it looks "painful"; but it really is not. I think it has to do with individual anatomy....some people can do it and some can't. When I grab a pen, my index finger takes that "backward" bend naturally with almost no applied pressure at all. As to the position of the paper, that is a little weird. I do tilt my paper a little; but it somewhere in the range of 30-45° rather than the 90° that is depicted.

As I look at the picture a second time, there is a little difference. The pen I hold lays across the knuckle of my index finger rather than down near the base of the thumb as shown in the picture. I've seen many different methods for holding a pen and they all produce wonderful script or absolute chicken-scratch depending upon the writer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom