Ta Da!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

Did you hear the one about the magician? He wasn't very good. He was getting heckled so badly one night, he decided he would try the magic trick of a lifetime. He asked the biggest burliest man in the audience to come on stage and hit him right in the gut. 20 years later, he wakes up from a coma in the hospital, looks up at the nurse, and says, Ta Da!

With that in mind, I say Ta Da!

I've been working on this piece of furniture for a year. I had to stop several times for other projects. The client didn't mind. He's a friend who works for the same company as me although in different departments. He had also been waiting 60 years for this piece of furniture. You see, the hall tree he remembers from his family home as a kid had been promised to his sister when his mother passed away. His sister gave it to her daughter. He looked far and wide for another piece like it, with no luck. He asked me if I could make him one. It wasn't something I really wanted to take on. It's not the style of furniture I like to make, but I said OK, take some pictures and measurements and I'll give it a go. I finished it last week and he and his wife came by to see it yesterday. She gave me one of the best compliments I've had in awhile. She looked at the hall tree and asked me, "why are you doing maintenance at Ft. Benning when you should be making furniture that will last generations?"

http://fcfpens.com/furniture/HallTree.html

Oh, there is a mirror behind the brown paper. I don't want it to get scratched before it's delivered.

Just one more while I'm at it. This next piece I made for my brother last weekend. It too has had a bit of a journey. My brother runs a furniture store that buys container loads directly from China. Sometimes pieces get broken or lost in transit. When that happens, the wholesaler just takes it off the bill. It's too expensive to ship replacements. My brother had taken this end table home because the stand for it was lost. He had it in the closet of his house last year when the tornado hit. His house was destroyed. They found a fishing boat in his attic. But the end table survived. He asked me to make a base for it and finally brought by last week. I made a base but didn't like it, so I googled oriental images for ideas. I made this based on a Japanese Torii gate found at Shinto shrines. They symbolize the division between the natural and supernatural worlds.

http://fcfpens.com/furniture/toriiBase.html

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

Nicely done Richard. The hall tree isn't my favorite style either but you've done a great job with it.

In the second link one of your pics looked a little familiar. I was there in March 2008 for work and it is on a little island called Miyajima Island just off Hiroshima. I'm the one in the middle. :)

Attachments

• DSCF3696.jpg
    DSCF3696.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 161

Rmartin

Thanks for looking and commenting!

He came by with his son and picked up the hall tree this morning. My shop is so empty now. It feels wierd.

mtgrizzly52

Oh My, Oh My, Oh My!!!

I love furniture like the hall tree, and that piece is unbelievable!!! The end table is something I normally would not like, but it is so unique and the workmanship is awesome I would be proud to have it in my home.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Top Bottom