T-light Candle holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I made this set of candle holders for a Christmas gift for my brother and his wife. All Three are made from the same Mesquite Log, it took about 3 hours to turn them. When I started working on them this morning it was 34 degrees in the shop, it took the heater about an hour to get the temp up to a comfortable 50 :D)egrees. They were sanded to 600 then I applied a spray on polyurethane finish. I think they may need a few more coats. Can anyone tell me, after they dry real good can the poly be buffed out. Or should I just leave it alone.
Any Comments Welcome, Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• T-lights 009_8_7_fusedX2.jpg
    T-lights 009_8_7_fusedX2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 281
  • T-lights 022_20_19_fused X2.jpg
    T-lights 022_20_19_fused X2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 210
  • T-lights 038_7_5_fused X2.jpg
    T-lights 038_7_5_fused X2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 234
  • T-lights 042_40_39_fused X2.jpg
    T-lights 042_40_39_fused X2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I made this set of candle holders for a Christmas gift for my brother and his wife. All Three are made from the same Mesquite Log, it took about 3 hours to turn them. When I started working on them this morning it was 34 degrees in the shop, it took the heater about an hour to get the temp up to a comfortable 50 :D)egrees. They were sanded to 600 then I applied a spray on polyurethane finish. I think they may need a few more coats. Can anyone tell me, after they dry real good can the poly be buffed out. Or should I just leave it alone.
Any Comments Welcome, Thanks for looking.

Good job so far...!

My suggestion about your question is, achieve the finish you want by coating the items accordingly and not by polishing. I'm not sure if the spray is in a can or applied with a spray gun, if spray can each coat should be a "solid" coat it will shine better than very light spray coats, just be careful with possible runs...!:mad:
If use in a spray gun, you will achieve better results by using a solid coat to start with and then 1 or 2 coats with varnish diluted at about 50-50 with thinners, preferentially the quick set (fast dry) thinners, in light coat bursts!

Polyurethane finishes are not really meant for polishing...!:wink:

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

KenV

I have had good success with polishing all kinds of finishes -- polishing is a process of making surface scratches smaller and smaller until they are not visible without magnification.

You need a well prepared surface before the finish flaws in the surface become increasingly visible as the smoothness of the finish increases.

One can buff through the finish pretty fast -- light touch.

Russell Eaton

Max I personally would not buff those. If you get the natural edge too close to the buffer you will play the devil getting that area cleaned out. They look sweet just like they are. Good job and thanks for posting. Russell

Mark

I like them just the way they are. I think the texture on the last one around the candle is a really nice touch. Way to go Max..

reefboy1

Wow, those are really beautiful. Are the teacandles sitting directly on the wood?

Thanks for sharing,

Art

Top Bottom