Swirls/Mixes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

2good2burn

It seems no matter how much I practice and how many messages I go thru, I cannot seem to get a nice swirl effect or mix of multiple color castings. They seem to separate on me.

I need some suggestions. Do I need to do an occasional stir every few minutes until the 'gel' stage starts? I saw a few suggestions of pouring 2 colors at the same time, but that didn't seem to give me any of the AWESOME blanks that others have come up with.

PLEASE - I'd really appreciate suggestions or a link to where the 'secrets' are hidden!

Thanks
Tracy Winneconne, WI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by 2good2burn
Snip

PLEASE - I'd really appreciate suggestions or a link to where the 'secrets' are hidden!

Thanks
Tracy Winneconne, WI

We don't hide our secrets!!! We just don't write them for anyone to see.[}:)]

For PR(polyester resin) you have to patiently wait for critical moments as it starts to gel.
Here is a nice example of turning my back and writing my notes on this batch. It went from being just nice thin resin to jello in just... well suddenly.

2008422192410_overgelled%20001.jpg

I had to chop at it with popsicle sticks to try to get it into the mold. If I had been thinking on my feet I would have chopped it up, thrown the bits on some parchment(siliconised paper) then mixed an ounce of some other color and dropped them in that- then forced them into the molds. The fresh resin would have filled the voids and givin some interresting contrast.

2good2burn

I've got one like this too, but I didn't cut it up or anything. I was just going to toss it, but thanks for the idea! It was a neat copper and black one.

No offense - I need the GOOD mixing stories. he hee:D

Originally posted by leehljp

Charles,
Don't waste it, put it back in the mold and add a good contrasting color. It should be very interesting then.

What doesn't make it into a pen or a purse perfume will be used for something. I am a firm believer in waste not.

Although the one with all the voids may just get a new color(s) added just for the fun of it.

2good2burn

Seems I had 2 questions going at once and posted this under the wrong one. I'm going to repost under the correct one, but wanted to answer your question.

I've read SEVERAL different articles and combed thru this forum on how much MEKP to use. Some used 7 drops per ounce and some 4-5. I've tried both. That doesnt seem to make a difference in my colors mixing I don't think.

I'm using the Pearl ex colors, I've used blue and silver, green and pink, copper and black. Hard to tell how much, its probably a fingernail pile on the end of my popsicle stick. Mix them both separately for about 2 minutes, and stir occasionally until they get thicker. Then pour into mold. Mix up a little, and then I've tried mixing every few minutes, I've tried not mixing until a later time, but maybe the timing just isn't right.

workinforwood

I wish I had the answer, if I did, I'd let you know. All I can do is suggest reading articles in the article section of the board. Tons of great PDF files that people have spent hours or days creating. Not sure if mixing colors is in there anywhere, but sure could be as there is alot of PDF's for casting resins.

Top Bottom