Sumac For Blanks ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I have a bunch of young sumac trees that I have been topping for a few years so they are branching out and acting as a tall hedge . I was cutting some limbs about one to one and a half inches in diameter when trimming and I found that it has a real nice green and brown pattern to the wood. There is a soft pith in the middle but I dont think it is any larger in diameter than the size of tubes so it could probably be drilled out and the rest be useable as a blank.
Has anyone here ever tried making sumac limbs into blanks?
I am aware that ordinary lumber takes approx one year to the inch for drying from the green state. I am wondering if I was to square some 6" long pieces off to about 3/4" square with my bandsaw and paint the ends to help prevent splitting and sit them away to dry if they would be usefull or not for pens. At that size and length I would imagine the drying time should occur within 6 months if they are stickerd with small strips for air flow.
Has anyone here tried this?
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I'm told that leaving the pith in a cutting from a branch is a real no-no that will lead to cracking and twisting. I got lucky with some peach but didn't drill through the center as that would negate getting any grain in the pen.

Just something to think about.

jimr

William- I have turned a few pens out of sumac. Here is what I have learned. It is quite soft. Drilling the holes takes a little more care. The wood is very fibrous and I had to run the bit back and forth several times to get a clean hole. The pith is very soft but the limbs are small enough that the pith is drilled out. I turned the blanks pretty green but apparently there was enough heat in turning and sanding that I had no cracking problem. It took more sanding since it is soft. It has a nice greenish color with dark brown grain lines and a few attractive knots. I will take a picture of my pens and get them on. My last one turned out to be a boo-boo since I advertently used the wrong bushing on the tip. thats the kind of lesson you learn and don't forget.

Kurt Aebi

Bill, I too have turned a couple of pens from Sumac.

I cut a trunk section and resawed a few boards as well. I turned a few slimlines with Black Enamel for th eFreedom Pens and felt they really looked like a Marine's type of pen.

Good Luck

William Young

Thanks all for the suggestions . I think I will cut some into blanks and give it a month or two to dry. I will also drill a smaller hole than 7 mm to alow it to dry from the inside as well. Then drill the 7 mm hole just before installing the tubes.

I like the idea that the heat from the turning and sanding helps to dry it so I wont be too concerned if it isn't totally dry before I try it out.
I was quite impressed with the green and various shades of brown colors in the cross section and that is what got me interested in its possibilities as an interesting looking pen.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom