Sturdy Pens???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TowMater

I turned my brother in law an Apprentice Americana for christmas and he really enjoyed using it.

Unfortunately he's rough on writing instruments as he is a field superintendant in the commercial construction industry.

He liked the size and heft of the pen, but I'm wondering if there isn't something a bit more sturdy I could turn for him.

Oh, by the way the problem with the Apprentice Americana is that it broke off at the threads which in my book makes it not repairable (not enough thread left to work with).

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Todd,
I've had two different pen styles from two different vendors that had the coupler threads break off and have been successful in repairing both pens. I'd give Berea (or wherever you got the kit from) a call and see if they will send you the part that broke off. In my case, both sent the part free of charge. The broken piece can be removed from the pen with the ubiquitous HF transfer punch.

TowMater

Well if I try a new pen, now I can explain to the wife how we need to buy a couple of these different kits since her brother is kinda rough......

Work with me here:D.

pssherman

Originally posted by TowMater

I wonder, has anyone ever made a pen out of a golf club shaft......

He likes golf, and would make for an interesting pen I bet...
Don't know if anyone made a pen from the golf shaft, but I did see where someone used a golf head (one of the woods) to make a pen stand.

Chasper

I haven't made any out of golf club shaft, but I one out of tent pole; the long flexible segmented type of pole that is used in domed shaped tents. Golf club shafts are about the same size and may should have some similar characteristics.

Rudy Vey

Flat-top (americana) style pens easily break at the transmission when they are put in the back pockets of pants and then one sits down. I just repaired one last Thursday. Its an easy fix, however, one needs a new transmission. The transmission has to be pressed out towards the finial end of the upper pen barrel. Then remove the broken-off threaded (female) part of the transmission from the threaded (male) part of the lower barrel. Install new transmission and you good to go.
Larry of Berea showed me this fix some years back.
These pens are actually pretty sturdy, only the possibility to break is a problem. I have several in use for 5-6 years. I could imagine that all pens using two barrels are more prone to do so.
The Sierra is a pretty sturdy pen, though.

bitshird

I agree with Rudy the Sierra is a sturdy pen, just tighten the transmission up VERY tight, I use a real small pair of channel locks they are about 3 inches long. I had 3 come back with the transmission unscrewed, not had a problem since then

Randy_

Originally posted by TowMater

Oh, by the way the problem with the Apprentice Americana is that it broke off at the threads which in my book makes it not repairable (not enough thread left to work with).

Todd

I'm not sure there is any kit pen that is going to stand up to that kind of use. You might try a cigar pen. They are bigger, heavier and maybe somewhat stronger than the average kit pen; but any pen with two barrels will always have a weakness in the middle.

I haven't built one yet; but you might also try the new Sierra click pen. The body should be pretty sturdy; but whether the clicker will hold up hasn't been established yet.

TowMater

I just happen to have a Wall Street II clicker in the shop. I think that's what he's getting.

And if he breaks another one he's payin for a new one[}:)].

karlkuehn

Banned
I'd go with a Black Ti cigar. They're tough and heavy and the plating is really durable. The clip is really nice because it doesn't have that little 'ball' thingy on it that gets snagged on pocket seams and stuff.

They're also easy to repair and the parts are cheap (i.e., buy another kit:D)

trsmth

My vote is for the Atlas/Carabara/Polaris. I carry one of theses qll day long in the platinum finish and love the durability of it. I carry it in the side pocket of carpenter's pants and is showing little wear. And I'm a cabinetmaker/electrician so it sees its fair share of abuse.

Just my $.02

Randy_

Originally posted by trsmth

My vote is for the Atlas/Carabara/Polaris......

Good idea!! That should be a very sturdy kit, too. I don't make them so they slipped my mind; but I think this would be an even better suggestion than what has been offerred earlier.

Top Bottom