Sanding Sealer ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Hey all,

Did a search on the forums for Masters Magic Sanding Sealer in a spray form and couldn't find anything.:(

So my question is, has anyone used this before? I've been using thin CA to seal the grain but don't like the white residue I get from it that never seems to go away. (I've used DNA and compressed air to get rid of it but it's still there)

I'm assuming you just spray it on and let it dry but can you do it on the lathe? If so, should the lathe be spinning or still?

Thanks in advance for your help:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I bought a can of Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer from AS about 2 years ago. Still have 1/4 of it left. When that's gone I'll buy another can. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.;)
What I'm trying to say is, the answer to your question is NO!:D

MobilMan

I use the thin CA for sealing [w/400 grit] & use thick CA for a finish & have never had white residue show up. [?] You're not using the accelerator are you?

karlkuehn

Banned
Rob, are you talking about the sanding dust that comes from the CA after it's cured? I usually blow off what I can, then apply a layer of CA/BLO, using the blo first. It 'reconstitutes' the CA dust, darkening it into invisibility, and then the CA layer 'sets' it.

Zinsser's Bull's Eye Seal Cote is a really nice wax-free shellac sealer that can be used under pretty much every finish (due to being wax-free). You can get a gallon of it for $25-$30. It's nice and thin and really penetrates. It air dries really fast, too.

I use it a lot on bigger turnings, but occasionally on a pen or two when the CA doesn't seem to be working.

tmhawk

Hey people,
I've read many of the library articles and posts and am still confused about Sanding Sealer. I sand to 600, buff with tripoli, then white diamond. Then I put on BLO, (to get the grain to "pop") dry the BLO with a paper towel, then sanding sealer. One article said use sanding sealer then use BLO. I thought (first mistake) if sanding sealer "seals the wood" how will the BLO penetrate and make the grain pop? So I reversed the process. I don't use CA, slightly allergic to the smell and fumes. After the sanding sealer cures (Zinsser says 45 mins, that's cool) I tripoli and white diamond buff again, then 3-5 coats of Enduro. White diamond buff, then Renaissance was and final clean buff. Looks like the BullsEye Seal Coat will go over BLO no problem. Which comes first BLO or Sanding Sealer?
Thanks,
Tony
Phoenix, AZ

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tony - Whichever way floats your boat. Most folks apply BLO to bare wood to pop the grain and figure before sealing the pores and grain, but if you prefer the look you get, do it your way. The "right" way is the way that pleases you.

Top Bottom