Stupid Question - Burnishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PrivatePens

I am sure this is a stupid question so please don't be too hard on me. I'm relatively new. I like the glossy look of burnishing and do it regularly. I was doing it after micromeshing up to 12000 and then someone said I am taking it back down. So when, if ever, should you burnish. I recently burnished after 1200 and then micromeshed but that destroyed the glossy look. Any thoughts?

Syd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eskimo

Syd,

Typically, I will sand 220, 400, 600, then burnish with the shavings, apply 3 - 6 coats of CA (depending on the wood), then micromesh to 12,000. This generally leaves a very glossy finish, however I will then buff the pen on a Beale 3 wheel system to finish the process.

SuperDave

Syd,

Burnishing a turning is usually only done to raw wood, not wood that has been finished. People that like the natural feel of wood without any surface finish added, will burnish with shavings. I use to do that with a lot of my Walnut turnings years ago. If gloss is what you are after, burnishing can be one of the steps you execute before application of the final finish of your choice.

I use a 10-15 minute CA finish on all my wood bodies (sometimes takes longer on a difficult piece, but not often.) and this is my end result.

2008212192633_10%20Minute%20CA.jpg

R2

Not a stupid question at all Syd. Questions Are whate you ask when you don't have the knowledge. I've learnt something here because of your question.:)
Now, a further question.
sveral mentions have been made here about the use of oils other than BLO with CA. All of these oils are vegetable. How do oils like burnishing oils work wit CA or will I need to try it myself?
Dave that is one lovely pen!!:):)[:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
CA glue is stabilized by an acidic stabilizer which keeps the glue in a liquid state while inside the container. The stabilizer can be neutralized by either an alkali on the surface to be glued or by the presence of ionized water molecules (hydroxyl ions). With that in mind, any oil with an alkaline pH or with a neutral pH and in the presence of humidity will cause CA to cure. (Yes, Virginia, there are acid oils.)

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Burnishing is compaction of the wood surface by application of frictional heat and pressure. The operative word is "burn" because an oxidation of the wood fibers takes place. Anything done to a finish is polishing with fine abrasives.

Top Bottom