BLO/CA - CA/BLO Finishing question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W3DRM

I'm new to penturning and am curious if anyone can explain what happens when you apply BLO/CA or CA/BLO to a pen blank as well as what additional coats do for the finish?

Here are my specific questions/thoughts on the subject:
  • If I apply the CA first and the wood is sealed (this is an assumption on my part) after the first few coats of CA, then how does the BLO really have any effect on the finish?
  • I can see that if I apply the BLO first it will be absorbed into the fibers of the bare wood, but not the other way around.
  • I'm thinking the CA is really the only thing that builds up and gives you the deep shine/gloss we are all trying to attain. Much like how a lacquer finish looks on a car hood. The more coats of lacquer, the deeper the shine.
  • Could it be that the act of applying the BLO via a piece of paper towel or other applicator is only acting as a burnishing medium for the CA?
  • Perhaps you would get the same effect without any BLO?
I am so confused (not unusual) and obviously missing something here. Can anyone help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Read this. http://www.redriverpens.com/pdf files/CA finish.pdf

I have changed my technique a little. I apply the boiled linseed oil to the wood first and then the CA for the first coat...and the second. I apply CA first and then the boiled linseed afterwards on the next two coats. I do not dry the linseed oil but apply the CA while it is still wet. I apply the successive coats of finish one after the other...no waiting time except for what it takes to get the next coat ready to apply.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

W3DRM

Ron & Don,

Thanks for the links. Between the two of them, I have a much better idea of what is happening. I read through many posts on the finishing topic in the forum but didn't go back that far. Guess it's live and hopefully learn.

Top Bottom