Strange customer request...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Okay, for my own curiosity, I had to try. I took a piece of 1/2" oak dowel, because oak is all I had, and shaped it tapered like a pen barrel. I then tried to put threads on it using a Sorby's small spiral cutter. I only spent a short time on this just to see what would happen. It will make the threads and with a denser wood and more time it might be pretty convincing. Yes I went the wrong way and I have a left handed screw, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2582.JPG
    IMG_2582.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I have been waiting for my PITH 2011 partner to receive his pen, so that I could "finally" complete the job I intended to do here, when the OP firstly requested my assistance for the "screw pen" he wanted to learn how to make.

I never went pass the stage -1 of the making process as the thread stop to get posters so I backed off...!

I may have backed off and let it go for a while but, I always had it in the back of my mind so, the this PITH material selection, was just ideal for me to demonstrate not only what I meant, but also, have if all done in Pine wood...!:wink:

Sorta like, living something unfinished, something that never agrees with me so, I can now put this issue and though to rest, its done and everyone can see it here

Job completed...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

titan2

Hello again all I got a phone call from a guy that would like to know if I am able to make a pen in the shape of a "SCREW." I have to admit I have no idea how to even go about it any suggestions would be very helpful? I only have a regular Jet lathe nothing special and no other special tools or attachments. He is willing to pay if I can only find a way to make it. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give. Len

Check out this link....it has what you're looking for....

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81367

Barney

Top Bottom