Straightening antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitshird

I think I may have just found a way to use the small tines of deer antler that have too much curve to drill without drilling through the bark, I had heard about boiling then tightening in a vise, but had also heard that it didn’t work.
It does, I boiled the smaller tines that were about ½ to ¾ in. where they came off of the beam, but were about 3 inches or so long and looked like they will turn out at 2 inches at least to .340 in. dia..
I boiled them for about 30 or 45 minutes, then tightened them up in a bench vise, some had to be done a couple of times due to compound curves, some had to have a piece of wood placed under the tip then tightened again to remove small curves at the tip.
Now I have reclaimed 6 (HOPEFULLY) pen barrels, all I have to do is figure out how long to let them dry, in order to get them straight, you have to get them quite soggy and wet, Maybe a trip or two through the microwave.
[:eek:)]
Ken Ferrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

There is another thread on the same subject. Good luck and let us know how your attempt turns out and of course post a picture of your pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27804

les-smith

Does it stink when you boil them? (note: <u>serious question </u>because some will say everything done with antler stinks.)

bitshird

No it doesn't stink, there is a smell, but nothing like when you drill it or sand it,[}:)] I just nuked a few pieces and my wife wasn't real impressed with my accomplishments [8] and suggested that I get that crap out of her microwave, [B)]

Daddy1

I agree it doesn't smell when boiled. I also agree antler is better done when the wife isn't home. When turning/cutting/drilling it smells horrid. Yes I have straightened antler and does straighten nicely. I have been able to salvage quite a bit of curved antler by straightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom