Straight from the sawmill.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I took the time to disassemble 3 pens from my earlier learning experiences; (lol) that had unsatisfactory flaws and managed to salvage them. Here is a spalted Hickory..

Attachments

• DSC00898.JPG
    DSC00898.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00903.JPG
    DSC00903.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC00904.JPG
    DSC00904.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, I am not going to attempt another one! this was a classic kit that needed a tenon cut for the center ring. This really was a challenge for me, but I'm still learnin'!

lucky13

I love the wood, that is some great looking timber!!!! The pen is terrific, great job!!!

If you need to find a home for some of that timber, I have plenty of room...lol

BSea

That looks great Phillip. Don't worry too much about the tenons. After a few, they become 2nd nature. And also don't sweat the flaws. Nearly everyone who makes pens, will find a flaw in their own work. It's probably because of the detail work we all like to do, that we notice the small imperfections where most people never would.

Lucky 13: I don't mind mailing you several blanks if you are serious. I pulled a vaccumn on the pieces I used (and actually tried to dye them) using some of Sherwin Williams discontinued 3M Wood Hardener & then I put them in a pressure pot for a while. The dye didn't absorb very deep at all but maybe the wood hardener did!

The spalted hickory was a tree that I have been watching for quite a while (over 2 years) I didn't know why until I got into the pen turning craze! Then, I thought, "I wonder if that is some of that crazy grain wood".....

BSea

That wood is fantastic. Very nice pen you made there.

Speak for yourself BSea as far as flaws go I don't know what you are talking about.:biggrin::biggrin:

Shhhhhh . . . . . . I was just being nice. I'm pretty sure only you and I make perfect pens every time. :wink:

Although I'm not too sure about you.:rolleyes:

But to be serious for a moment, pen making is a journey, and you never know everything. Once you think you have something down perfect, that's when you better watch out. I hate seeing some pens I gave to family and friends when I 1st started. I see so many things wrong with them, but they still love them. I have one friend who will only use it at his desk at home. I keep telling him to take to work & show his co-workers, so maybe somebody will buy one. But he's afraid he'll lose it, so it stays in his desk at home.

Top Bottom