Storm monitoring system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Recently i finished designing A camera trigger for photographing lightning, though wanted to make a companion to accompany it. with this LCD display version, rather than it just detecting the flash of light like the trigger, this one picks up the RF signal out of the airwaves from the lightning strike and analyses it, and is able to calculate the distance to the edge of the storm, if it is moving away from you or coming towards, keep count of how many lightning strikes there has been during the storm, all alerting you to these states on the LCD screen. It can differentiate between cloud to cloud, or cloud to ground strikes.

This version will be designed into a tabletop unit for keeping in your living room for instance. it will pick up a storm from over 40 miles away and will then monitor it, alerting you to get your camera out your bag etc..

As a future addition i intend on creating an IP rated camera mounted on Pan & tilt servos, which wirelessly links back to the monitoring system, which will automatically turn the camera to the direction of the storm, and photograph each strike completely automatically.

other sensors such as temps, barometer,anemometer, and cloud charge monitoring for measuring the charge of the clouds before each strike, in a bid to calculate the storms severity

Future detection system versions will utilise a nokia mobile screen, and will be pocket size so you can monitor the storms while out in the field. Early warning systems for hikers and outdoor event modules will be made available too.

Ive messed with various designs for years, though this is the first time i have been satisfied with the accuracy and level of sophistication from the built in algorithms of the sensing IC

Attachments

• 969300_376089575831057_37073157_n.jpg
    969300_376089575831057_37073157_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

How do you like the newer version of the Arduino? I keep threatening to pick up one or two, but I have enough stock of the older ones I have not gotten to it yet.

vanngo5d

That's a neat device, Lightning pictures are one of my favorites.

SkyNet --- That's from Terminator that took over the World with robots.:eek::eek:

BradG

You are one weird guy. Wish I lived closer.

Lol thanks i think Bruce :biggrin:

Can you put that in simple single syllable words? LOL

I did! .. i didn't start rambling on about C++ sub routines

How do you like the newer version of the Arduino? I keep threatening to pick up one or two, but I have enough stock of the older ones I have not gotten to it yet.

I couldnt tell you the differences between the two, though some libraries designed for the older model are no longer compatible leaving you having to tweak the h and cpp files.

It would be really cool to have something like that you could plug into your iPad. Then feed all the data back to one spot!

I like the idea of the data being fed back to the main unit and it handling the information. easy to connect it to ipads laptops etc, I guess developing a html server and hosting the info on a webpage over the local area network could be accomplished using wifi, or port and socket connection to an app or software client.. I may look into all that when ive done everything on the list i want to get working :cool:

one thought was having the systems talk with other systems over the internet. If there was multiple of them scattered in familys homes around the city etc, they would all act as nodes, taking measurments of the storm from different locations to draw a bigger picture of data, which of course every unit would be able to access.

Don't think too small Brad you could have them globally and that would be so cool. I would love to give something like that a try. It wouldn't be any more work to have them all over the place than to have them around a single city that is for sure. You could see weather in almost real time world wide. Probably be better than what the national weather services have!

BradG

I am all familiar with the possibilities of these concepts, though in the 15 years ive been developing i came to learn in the end that any peripheral addon, or bolt on shouldnt even be thought about, and simply noted down in a book of things to visit in the future. 100% of your focus and thought processes should evolve around the foundations of the product until its polished. once youve given all and its finished, then you start playing with all the fun bits :) im not thinking too small, Ive always seen the larger picture, just its more productive to focus on smaller partsof the picture rather than tackle it as a whole all in one go.

jyreene

Awesome concept and design. I for one would likely be the first to thank the creator of our robot overlords and request he hardware a fail safe word into his designs.

BradG

As it stands Terry im working my way towards marketable products, though for now still some steps to take until its ready for the consumer market.
Though when that time comes il pay my way like other vendors have done so on the site, and il list adverts in the classifieds section. I wouldn't want to raise any eyebrows by talking sales or money on this thread :redface:

Jyreene il put a big red emergency stop button on the back :wink:

LagniappeRob

Once you start getting tcp/ip involved, it's probably worth thinking about switching to a Raspberry Pi instead. A Mega 2560 R3 (real one not HK clone) is almost $50 from the 1st tier sources, plus $30 or so for the ethernet shield or you have to have it hooked to a PC all the time. A RPi would be $35 plus an old SD card... Of course you could do a Netduino, but that's another story...

I've all but stopped my Arduino development. Unless you have to have near real-time then the RPi is hard to beat. About the only thing I'd go back to the 'duinos for is motion control. And then probably only as a secondary processor to offload the motion controls themselves, leaving the rest of the logic back at the RPi.

Edit - by the way, they work REALLY well together! IIRC, this was the 1st book I got my hands on about connecting the 2:http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Home-Automation-Arduino-ebook/dp/B00BBQHAPK/ (Edit2 - I'm beginning to 2nd think that... might need to go look at my Kindle orders. I think this one was about using the RPi instead of Arduino - which still might interest you... I'm thinking I buy too many books. But thanks to the Kindle at least it's not going to be as back breaking to move next time. Having dozens fewer 50lb book boxes to move is worth the price alone!)

And I'm waiting for this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Sensor-Networks-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/1430258241

Last edited:

BradG

Thanks for the links ive just ordered the first one so il take a read .

Ive been meaning to start using the pi's as theres not enough grunt behind the arduinos for handling streaming video or audio processing

BradG

not so much Mike. a couple of servers in my server room are linux boxes which just host sql databases. the other servers and 50 clients are windows.

LagniappeRob

I remember compiling (or more often than not ATTEMPTING to compile kernels as early as 0.99 pl13 - that version # will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life!). I came from Mark Williams' Coherent, OS-9 and SysV R3 systems. Still admin HP-UX, AIX and Linux boxes today.

ChrisN

Getting kind of off topic here. :biggrin: We ought to start a Linux club here. I run Lubuntu on my netbook, and will soon have Kubuntu on my desktop - when my SSD gets here... :biggrin:

hard hat

another great project. how do you have enough time to complete anything with all the projects you have going on?

Fibonacci

Ive been meaning to start using the pi's as theres not enough grunt behind the arduinos for handling streaming video or audio processing

Another good option to look at is the Netduino.

The dev environment is very similar to the Arduino, but it have a lot more oomph and a built-in ethernet stack.

BradG

another great project. how do you have enough time to complete anything with all the projects you have going on?

Work quickly before you fall behind lol.

I bet he finds a way to put it in a pen before he is finished :)

wouold be fun wouldn't it? .. Can't see it working too well with a metal pen though :rolleyes:

Another good option to look at is the Netduino.

The dev environment is very similar to the Arduino, but it have a lot more oomph and a built-in ethernet stack.

Take a look at the YĂşn which is coming out. still only 400Mhz, though theres some dual cores on the horizon too

dogcatcher

have read through this several times, and still have only a general idea of what you people are talking about. Please carry on for the benefit of those of us that will still not know when this thread is finished.

walshjp17

Great idea, Brad. Now, with an ambitious marketing plan, you are spot on for timing for the nascent storm/hurricane season.

Rather than just 'talking' to iPads, an iOS /Android app would allow mobile users (think storm chasers) to take advantage of your invention. I'm sure you could find a mobile programmer to do some work if you don't already do it yourself.

Like your brilliant pens, this is another example of you being ahead of the curve. Well done.

BradG

Thanks John

The issue with mobile devices is that this is hardware dependant. people ut and about would want to be the point of reference for the detection, and in order for that to work with an iphone for example, they would need to plug a piece of hardware into the phone. And if you are doing that, you may as well just rule out the phone and make it a handheld device.

BradG

no its an arduino, which is a micro controller. a raspberry is a micro processor. Think of the raspberry as the brains of the operation and an arduino as its interface for connecting lots of sensors, stepper motors, servos etc to it.

An arduino can of course be ran without a raspberry, as you can program them with C++ and the code loops allowing you to run boolean logic with if condition routines. logical operators are also availabe which can make some variable calculations much easier ( ! || && < >== for example), you can create sub routines which loop on their own do/while or for condition .Great fun.

Check out the book links a previous poster was kind enough to share.

Last edited:

BradG

Advanced lightning detector up and rocking. This will pick storms up from over 40 miles away and display the distance and severity on the LCD display. Blue light flashes in different patterns depending on how close the storm is along with an audio alarm

Attachments

• 983588_379044985535516_1951456198_n.jpg
    983588_379044985535516_1951456198_n.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 100

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
so, more importantly, where can we buy or order one?

One thing I miss about SA is the wonderful ozone smell of a good Highveld electric storm.
We used to sit on the stoop ( stoep?) having a braai next to the pool and watch the fireworks. :rolleyes:

BradG

Thanks for the offer Rob, though unfortunately the EMF from the motors would cause interferance (This blue light was a revolving one until i removed the motor from it)

Curly

Brad your "gizzmo" reminds me of the lightning strike counters that the Forest Service was just starting to use when I was an aircraft mechanic servicing air tankers decades ago. They drew a line out to the location of the ground strikes on a map. In the morning they would send aircraft out to the strike area and look for smokes. There were some storms that had so many lightning strikes that a long narrow pie slice was cut away from the map by the plotter pen. Revenue storms for us. :rolleyes:

Is your storm monitor battery powered or is it plugged into the mains? Have you got a ball park idea, or cricket pitch if you prefer, :wink: of what these would sell for?

BradG

Curly an extremely rough idea would be around $200 at a guess. Id need to work out the costs. If theres any woodworkers in the uk who would like to earn some dough making square mdf boxes drop me a message :)

Chuck il set my video camera uo on it when a storm comes around ;)

Top Bottom