Storage of Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

Not sure if I got the right forum or not. I've got some finishes (Danish Oil, etc). I've had problems of the lids getting stuck and not coming off, even when using pliers. Is there any downside to using plastic bottles with a twist top (like on elmer's glue)? I'm just tired of losing the finish. I wind up punching a small hole in the containers but then there is no way to seal it and the finish starts going bad. Any ideas/suggestions? I greatly appreciate it.

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What type lids are you talking about??? I guess I should not have to tell you that by now you should have learned to clean the lids off before closing:)

If you are talking about lids that screw off, just clean them off with some acetone. If you are talking about lids that you hammer on, you can buy plain cans in Home Depot for cheap.

Do not put in plastic containers. They will get contaminated. Also store finishes in a cool dry place and they will last longer. Good luck.

JCochrun

The lids are the screw on kind. Unfortunately, the one in question is already stuck. I've tried everything on it. Pliers have worked in the past but not this time. I usually do wipe them off before putting them back on. We just moved and I think the finish might have sloshed around enough to get up in the lid and caused it to stick.

Can the pliers pinch them in a little with out breaking? This may weaken the joint. I do this with glue bottles. And Lightly twisting the spout in the gripper grooves after pinching, to clean it. Have fun.

KenV

I find that a piece of plastic bag over the threads on the can allows the lid to tighten on most cans and delay the setting. "Danish Oils" and, for that matter, many "Tung Oil" finishes are thinned varnish with some oil added. They do begin to set up as soon as oxygen gets to them even with the can lid put back.

Many Waterlox users repackage into smaller jars such as those used for baby food. Even then, shelf life is not forever.

Top Bottom