Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

Needed a little break from both pens and the furniture projects I'm currently working on, so I made some stoppers yesterday. They got assembled today after the finish cured.

Two pictures showing the two sides. Finish was a quick wipe of a mix of BLO/DNA/Shellac, followed by spray shellac, then a couple coats of semi-gloss spray lacquer.

From left to right:
Elm Burl
Russian Olive Burl
Curly Camphor
Bigleaf Maple Burl
Honey Locust Burl

The Camphor is from trimming a Camphor Crotch bowl blank round. Instead of making it a short stopper, I left the curved portion on the top and sanded it by hand. It's my favorite of the grouping.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Very nice stoppers and nice blanks. Do your stoppers have removable threaded inserts or are threaded parts an integral part of the metal stopper?

Sprung

Super job on the stoppers! You have some very nice blanks there!

And of course, Niles stoppers.

Thanks! In sourcing wood, I'll get really nice pieces sometimes, such as these, that are too small for something larger, but would have a ton of waste to turn into a pen (and aren't large enough to get more than one pen out of.) And, yes, Niles stoppers - I like them.

Very nice stoppers and nice blanks. Do your stoppers have removable threaded inserts or are threaded parts an integral part of the metal stopper?

Thanks! The metal portion is from Ruth Niles. The ones I use are A-301 and A-701 and the threaded portion is part of the whole thing - it was machined as one whole piece.

Sprung

Nice stoppers.
I really like the camphor one too - it is a great wood for turning.

Thanks, Ed! Yes - the camphor is great. It's one of my favorite woods to turn. It turns well, looks great, and smells awesome. I've got a couple camphor crotch bowls roughed out, should be ready to finish turn when I've got some time this winter, then I'll be out of camphor. Going to have to try to find some more - not exactly a local wood for me, lol.

Top Bottom