Stopper problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pensmyth

pensmyth

I have a friend in California who works for a winery. I sent her a bottle stopper with a cork screw in it (PSI's) she loved it and want's me to make her some to sell at the winery. I purchased several from a PSI re-seller and turned six of them last night and tonight. When I went to assemble them the end where the little metal finial goes in cracked on the first one, just a hair line crack and I was able to fix it. On the next five I made double sure the ends were clean and flush I even took a 1/4 inch drill bit and cleaned out the tube and beveled the ends and I still have cracks. The caps are going in straight and there is no debris in the tubes. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm beginning to think there might be too much plating on the base of the caps.

Bobalu

I had a few of those kits on hand, so I took a look. I measured the ID of the tube (.246") and the OD of the insert portion of the finial (.248"). That alone should be enough to give you a snug fit. But if you look closely you will see that there are four little ribs that stick out. They measured .256". It is likely these ribs that are causing the cracking. You might try filing them down a bit and see if your cracking goes away.

dexter0606

There are small protrusions on the T handle. You may have to grind off some of these. I've had this problem befroe with some materials. Just make sure to glue the handles if you grind the protrusions down

Not quick enough on the response !:)

Top Bottom