Seam rippers alt approach

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TucsonCyclist

TucsonCyclist

Normally I wouldn't of posted this project, but I ignored the tutorial and tried a few different approaches and wanted to share this one.

On these, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the blank. Added a drop or two of medium CA and shoved in a 1/4" dowel that was cut 1" longer than the depth of the hole. I chucked the dowel in the lathe and held the blank in place with the tail-stock while I turned and polished it. Once turned, I pulled out the dowel (one came right out and one didn't). I went back to the drill press and re-drilled the same hole to clean it out. Then I took a round file and enlarged the hole to .28". Once the test fit was satisfactory, I re-polished the top, added a few drops of medium CA, inserted the seamripper and set it ripper point down to cure. The clear protective cover slides on just as it did before.

I am working on one other proto-type but didn't have the correct drill bit.

The smaller one is the remained of the blank from the Electra pen I posted a few days ago. My wife wanted it, so there it is. And for the eagle eye's, no I didn't polish the grooves and I already heard about it from my wife.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 100_9237.jpg
    100_9237.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_9241.jpg
    100_9241.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Nice -- I also turn them with a stub tenon to hold the clear cover of the handle material. and make wedges to fill the gap for the metal ripper (which I remove from the plastic with moderate heat). The short ones will work well for quilters.

Have also made some caps from scraps of stabalized blanks --

I have been meaning to make some with the detachable keychain ends on the back so they will hang on a quilters chatalaine. Will have to do that this winter.

bitshird

Wow Glad to see some good some great improvements in these, the potential for a turned item with minimal cost has such a greatsales potential , and sines a lot of our better half or some members them self's quilt these are fantastic, glad to see the innovation!!!! Sweet job by the way.

AlanZ

I have the parts to turn some seam rippers, but haven't done one yet (maybe this weekend)

I mentioned that I'm going to make one to a quilter friend of mine, and the very first thing she said was
"Are the blades replaceable? They get dull quickly"

So, it looks like I'll be using a technique that assures blade changes (rather than cementing the shaft into the handle)

sbwertz

Nice -- I also turn them with a stub tenon to hold the clear cover of the handle material. and make wedges to fill the gap for the metal ripper (which I remove from the plastic with moderate heat). The short ones will work well for quilters.

Have also made some caps from scraps of stabalized blanks --

I have been meaning to make some with the detachable keychain ends on the back so they will hang on a quilters chatalaine. Will have to do that this winter.

If you take it to the bandsaw and saw off the end of the blue plastic handle, you can easily drive the ripper out of the handle with a punch.

Top Bottom