Stopper display

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Steve Busey

Steve Busey

Got this display idea from a Terry Achey post on SMC a year ago. I turned an old cherry log down to a wine bottle shape, then cut it in two on the bandsaw, then flattened up the base on the jointer. Did a few bottle stoppers along the way. Waiting on some more stopper blanks to fill this (and the other half) up.

Thanks for looking!

Stopper display.jpg

Marblewood with a penny insert:
Marblewood-penny1.jpg

Cocobolo with glass insert from CSUSA:
Cocobolo-insert1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Thanks, guys. Read the first line above - I borrowed it already! :rolleyes: I just like to give credit when I do (and when I can remember from whom).

The guy I "borrowed" the idea from used a "whole bottle" with legs - I just cut mine in two. He had 4 holes along the top, I opted for 6, alternating sides. I wanted to see how this works before I drill out the other half.

Last edited:

Bellsy

Thanks, guys. Read the first line above - I borrowed it already! :rolleyes: I just like to give credit when I do (and when I can remember from whom).

The guy I "borrowed" the idea from used a "whole bottle" with legs - I just cut mine two. He had 4 holes along the top, I opted for 6, alternating sides. I wanted to see how this works before I drill out the other half.

So it is sorta your idea.....:)

Thanks for the change, I think it's probably better that you can get two displays out of one bottle.

Dave

Blue Pig

Thanks for the idea, I have been searching for something cool to do with all my wine stoppers. I will be "borrowing" your idea, thanks again...Randy

Steve Busey

Awesome. I love your display and your bottle stoppers. I also love the golf ball one too. Can I borrow any of these ideas?

Rob, I glanced at your site and notice you use longer bottle stoppers (I use Ruth Niles'), so I don't know how the "half bottle" would work - it may not be deep enough. Although, looking back at Terry's, he leaves a lot of metal sticking out.

Wes76

That's nice work, I may have to make one. When read that you sawed it in half on the band saw I wanted to pass along a patternmaking trick. When you are preparing your wood to turn start with two pieces about the thickness of the finished half you want to make, then glue them together with wood glue but put a piece of paper in between them and make sure to put your center point in the joint and to have the piece at the headstock centered too. Turn the bottle and when you are done stand it up vertical place a chisel on the joint and tap it down into the joint. As the part splits you will notice that the paper is actually tearing in half thickness wise. As long as the paper was on center while you were turning you now have two perfect halves, just hit the undersides with a disk sander to clean off the paper and you're done. I'm sure I could have explained it more concisely but I'm still groggy. One last thing, be aware that the joint isn't as strong as a normal wood joint and always try to stay out of line with the work just in case it comes apart, if there is a section you aren't going to be turning put a screw through the two pieces or put a hose clamp around it, especially on the end with the live center.

Wes

Steve Busey

Interesting tip, Wes. In my case, I had a cherry log, so it was easier just to turn that down, rather than cut it down, square up a couple sides and glue it up. But I'll have to tuck that paper trick into my tips file - might come in handy someday!

Top Bottom