Facial powder set, ladies opinion needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Ladies opinion needed! I am working on making a facial powder set for use with loose mineral powders.

The finial box to store the powder in the back has a Cherry base and a Bigleaf Maple Burl Lid. The finial is African Blackwood. I am fairly happy with how the box is coming, it just needs a couple more coats of finish and some buffing.

The sable hair brush in the foreground has a East Indian Rosewood handle. I just made the brush, and as a non makeup user, not really sure if it has a decent shape. I would like opinions on the brush before I glue in the sable hair knot and apply a finish to the handle.

Attachments

• Makeup Kit 01.jpg
    Makeup Kit 01.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Hi - Penman1 wife here....That looks very nice but I would need to see the inside of the bowl shape as compared to the brush. in this picture they look like they are too close to the same size to move around. The brush itself looks a bit dense when used to apply make up so if you could give a picture of the part of the brush that is used to apply... the tip portion of the brush. If the brush applies the makeup too thick then well .... that is not a good thing for most.

I LOVE the wood and the design. very nice!

Red Coin

I would want to see the handle a bit longer. You have to tap the brush to get rid of extra powder to use it correctly and it looks like you'd knock your fingers with that small brush. Either make it longer or just make the part you hold closer to the end so you have a little space to tap with.

The whole thing is very nice, overall, and a LOT nicer than what the powder comes in at the store! The wood is beautiful.

I can't quite tell - is there a built in brush holder there or is it just balanced on the base? You might consider making a design where the brush fits into the top with the bristles facing up instead of a finial as a holder.

This is a unique and useful item, I know lots of people who would want one and it's a great gift idea as it is a luxury. Good job!

cheers, dee

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Excellent suggestion on the handle length. I was unaware of the tapping requirement.

There is no built in brush holder, in the photo it's just balanced on a napkin ring. I have been working on ideas for a holder, but am not really sure I have a concept I really like yet. For now, I plan to make a cup and carve away part of the front to allow one to grab the handle easily.

I spent a lot of time trying to think up some way to use the brush as a finial, and every design I came up with was going to result in a lid that seemed to bulky. As it is, the lid is thicker than I like, but I did not want the tenon on the base of the finial to be visible when looking at the bottom of the lid. For now, I have given up on incorporating the brush into the lid, but I may come back to in in the future.

I finally decided to had to stop fooling around and actually make something so I would have something done in time.

I would want to see the handle a bit longer. You have to tap the brush to get rid of extra powder to use it correctly and it looks like you'd knock your fingers with that small brush. Either make it longer or just make the part you hold closer to the end so you have a little space to tap with.

The whole thing is very nice, overall, and a LOT nicer than what the powder comes in at the store! The wood is beautiful.

I can't quite tell - is there a built in brush holder there or is it just balanced on the base? You might consider making a design where the brush fits into the top with the bristles facing up instead of a finial as a holder.

This is a unique and useful item, I know lots of people who would want one and it's a great gift idea as it is a luxury. Good job!

cheers, dee

Drstrangefart

My wife sez: The brush looks a bit masculine, maybe slim the overall dimensions down. And if you can add some decorative accent to the brush, maybe to help hatch it to the bowl better. She does like the general shape of the brush though. And she says it's very nice.

PenMan1

penman1 Wife here...It looks great. I agree with lengthing the brush handle a bit but other than that it looks like it would work very well!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I'm tempted to start over with a new handle now! I made it a bit thinner, but I don't have a room for much decorative embellishment. I think the next one will somewhat match the fleur de lis of the box finial. I'll skip the ball as that caused problems on the first brush handle that never survived long enough to be shown off.

PapaTim

Eric,
When I made a make-up brush for my MIL last Christmas I checked what my wife and adult daughter had. When I asked about which were their favorites they both liked the longer handled ones best. This is what I wound up with (red palm).
MakeupBrush1.jpg
I also made a fancier one for my wife in purpleheart.
Tim

Top Bottom