STONE AND WOOD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

First try at a little lidded box. Soap stone and cocobolo. Please feel free to critic, I need to learn.

Attachments

• 400_1725.jpg
    400_1725.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 400_1727.jpg
    400_1727.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 400_1728.jpg
    400_1728.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Looks pretty sharp from this point of view.

I have never turned soap stone before, just curious what kind of glue you used to mold the wood/soapstone together..??

mrcook4570

That is a beautiful box. Those two materials work very well together.

It appears that the grain of the cocobolo above the soapstone may be just a little out of alignment with the bottom part of the box.

This is a very creative use of materials and a fantastic piece.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic! The colors and grain patterns work really well together. The proportions of height to width, and the finial to the body and lid look good.

The main thing I would suggest is to experiment with different shapes, the form is OK, with the top being really nice, but the strait sides could be jazzed up by some nice flowing curves.

Another thing to experiment with is the stone ring. Try different widths and maybe doubling up on some thin rings.

animefan

I love the way the whole thing looks. I would love to know how you made it.

PaulDoug

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions. This was a trial, I didn't have a chunk of cocobolo so I glued three pieces together. CA glue works fine on soap stone. It is about 3" tall and 2 1/2 in diameter. Because It was my first box, I didn't do much experimenting with shape but will in the future. I've purchased some black soap stone called Bombay Black I am anxious to try on a shaving kit, mug, brush and razor. I'm really enjoying working with the stone. Also have several pieces of alabaster to try some day.

Top Bottom