Sticky PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Poured blanks more than 48 hours ago everything has seemed to set up except the surface of the blanks are still tacky. This is my first pour is this normal, do I need to wait or are there any other remedies? Also awhile back there was a link for different casting recipes for the life of me I can't find it. Could someone please point me in the right direciton. Thanks

Douglas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Once again, this same question has been asked. We really do need a FAQ for this section.

Polyester resin that is a laminating(thick casting) resin is air inhibited, it will remain tacky on the surface so that another layer can be added and they will adhere better.

Post curing the polyester resin in a dedicated toaster oven at 135F for an hour or so, will fully cure the resin.

its_virgil

Some polyester resins will be sticky on the exposed surface...the surface touching air. Silmar 41 always does this when I use it. I've used another polyester resin that does not stay sticky on the exposed surface. They are completely dry out of the pressure tank. I sit the sticky blanks out side my shop door in the sunlight in the morning and they dry and finish curing....by the time I come home from work.

I do not use an oven to post cure my snake skin blanks. I have not had good luck with the final results when I do this. I have not tried the oven on label blanks. The sun seems to work fine for my embedded castings. I can't speak for other castings but trust what Charles has to say...he is the man with the knowledge.

Hey Charles: I post the MSDS info in the other thread...the swing resin I used was manufactured by Cook Composites....

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Poured blanks more than 48 hours ago everything has seemed to set up except the surface of the blanks are still tacky. This is my first pour is this normal, do I need to wait or are there any other remedies? Also awhile back there was a link for different casting recipes for the life of me I can't find it. Could someone please point me in the right direciton. Thanks

Douglas

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Don't be too shocked by this... I've gotten some of the circuit board blanks that will still 'take' a fingerprint. These are much older than 48 hours... Work to harden it or turn it off... No big deal in my experience.

JohnU

I stopped using my toaster oven after it started leaving air bubbles on the surface of my blanks. Its no problem if you just going to keep them and turn, but if your selling or showing others, it can be a problem. I pop them out of the molds and set them on the picknick table outside for a couple hours in the mid day. They dry nice. As long as none of my neighbors start turning Im ok. Good Luck,

Top Bottom