polyester resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
uscomposites.com

I just got a 5 gallon shipment yesterday, but beware of the shipping charges.
$140 for resin, $60 for shipping!

S

spiritwoodturner

Why don't you look locally? I have a plastics distributor 10 minutes from my house. Shipping for 5 gallons costs me about...2 bucks. I don't think it's that unusual to have one close to any metro area. Worth checking, anyway.

Dale

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Why don't you look locally? I have a plastics distributor 10 minutes from my house. Shipping for 5 gallons costs me about...2 bucks. I don't think it's that unusual to have one close to any metro area. Worth checking, anyway.Dale

No matter what I need, it's usually 100+ miles each way.
I haven't found anyone in that range who either has the resins or is
willing to sell retail.

Times like this, I miss NYC

Silmar has very limited sales outlets in FL. At the end of last yr you had to commit to 10 - 55gal barrels of their product. After the yr began they dropped it to 1 - 55gal drum. However they reserve the right to fill your order. I have had a running order for 3 months for Silmar 40 (prefered) or 41, through the local Silmar distributor. Silmar has dropped the order, cancelled the order, just not filled the order... the one and only state salesman for the company has stopped taking phone calls from the local distributor.

While S40 and S41 are considered to be the companies most popular resins, most- almost all their distributors carry only the laminating resins and gelcoats. S40 and S41 are considered to be "specialty" resins.

The local guys have been hung out to dry by Silmar and the only place left in Florida to purchase S41 is US Composites in 1 and 5 gal units.

The Composites One out of Lakeland FL carries S41, but only in 55gal drums, and they are real prissy about selling to you.

bruce119

Silmar has very limited sales outlets in FL. At the end of last yr you had to commit to 10 - 55gal barrels of their product. After the yr began they dropped it to 1 - 55gal drum. However they reserve the right to fill your order. I have had a running order for 3 months for Silmar 40 (prefered) or 41, through the local Silmar distributor. Silmar has dropped the order, cancelled the order, just not filled the order... the one and only state salesman for the company has stopped taking phone calls from the local distributor.

While S40 and S41 are considered to be the companies most popular resins, most- almost all their distributors carry only the laminating resins and gelcoats. S40 and S41 are considered to be "specialty" resins.

The local guys have been hung out to dry by Silmar and the only place left in Florida to purchase S41 is US Composites in 1 and 5 gal units.

The Composites One out of Lakeland FL carries S41, but only in 55gal drums, and they are real prissy about selling to you.

I just got 5 gal. from US comp. I hope they will not have a problem. I have been buying from them for a wile. Have to give them a call and find out if there supply is in jeopardy.

I live not far from Lakeland and have relatives that live there. Wounder if we could get a few guys together maybe get a 55 gal. split it up. I know 55 is a bit too much for me it does have a shelf life.

just a thought
Bruce

DurocShark

Why don't you look locally? I have a plastics distributor 10 minutes from my house. Shipping for 5 gallons costs me about...2 bucks. I don't think it's that unusual to have one close to any metro area. Worth checking, anyway.

Dale
Where at? I've been buying Castin Craft with my 50% coupons from Michaels. But gallons of Silmar would be cheaper I think.

S

spiritwoodturner

Hey Don,

I go here... http://www.plasticareinc.com/ , they're right behind Ben and Jerry's on Santa Fe. 43 bucks a gallon, or 161 for 5, and what's nice is they give it to you in singles-easier to deal with. and store the rest in the basement. They have lots of other stuff too-dyes, molds, catalyst, etc. And the best thing? ZERO shipping!

Hope it helps,
Dale

bruce119

My 5 gal. from US Comp. was $140.50 freight was $39.00 (includes the $20.00 haz.mat.) total $179.50. That is less than $36.00 a gal. shipped.

UPDATE wile I was typing this I called US Composites. They told me they know nothing of a suppler problem. And have and will continue to ship the product.

After reading glass scratcher's post I think it sounds to me that maybe some smaller production shops used to get drums directly from Silmar. And now it sounds like they may be having a problem. Just guessing

BUT US Composites is not effected by and knows nothing of it. ????

Bruce

Draken

Can also get clear casting resin from http://www.artstuf.com/DStockNEW.fm$RETRIEVE?sortcode=PR032369&html=display
They are a bit more expensive, but if you're having problems with US Composites...

S

spiritwoodturner

Bruce,

Just curious, do they ship that to you in 5 singles or a single 5 gallon container? And I hope my local supplier won't start to have problems getting drums from Silmar! I've confirmed that's who they get it from, in drums, then repackage it into singles for retail guys like me.

Dale

My 5 gal. from US Comp. was $140.50 freight was $39.00 (includes the $20.00 haz.mat.) total $179.50. That is less than $36.00 a gal. shipped.

UPDATE wile I was typing this I called US Composites. They told me they know nothing of a suppler problem. And have and will continue to ship the product.

After reading glass scratcher's post I think it sounds to me that maybe some smaller production shops used to get drums directly from Silmar. And now it sounds like they may be having a problem. Just guessing

Bruce

bruce119

They are a bit more expensive, but if you're having problems with US Composites...

US Composites does NOT have any problems. They are a reliable source.
I have no affiliation with them just a very satisfied customer.
http://www.uscomposites.com/index.html

Bruce,

Just curious, do they ship that to you in 5 singles or a single 5 gallon container? And I hope my local supplier won't start to have problems getting drums from Silmar! I've confirmed that's who they get it from, in drums, then repackage it into singles for retail guys like me.

Dale

Dale I got that 5 gal. in one 5 gal. white plastic bucket.
Bruce

S

spiritwoodturner

I think you use a whole lot more than I do, Bruce, but for me, the single 5 would be a problem. Even if I DID have the space to store a single 5 with a spigot, it would be in my warm shop in the summer, and I store 4 of the singles in my cool basement until I'm ready for a new one. That's why I really like this local guy, gives me 5 ones (Silmar 40) for a bit less than US Composites would ship me a single 5 for. That's even assuming shipping to Colorado would be the same or less than it is to you, which may not be the case. Plus, one of my favorite Mexican restaurants on Earth is real close to my local distributor! So, I have my reasons...

At any rate, I would urge all members to check local distributors to compare prices and product. Assume nothing. I've done it before, at my own peril.

Dale

Dale I got that 5 gal. in one 5 gal. white plastic bucket.
Bruce

mick

Charles, educate me. Whats the difference between the 40 and 41 and why do you prefer the 40? I'd never even heard of the Simlar40 until you mentioned it.

Charles, educate me. Whats the difference between the 40 and 41 and why do you prefer the 40? I'd never even heard of the Simlar40 until you mentioned it.

Silmar 41 (Sil 95BA-41) is a thick casting/laminating (water clear) resin. It can be used to cast objects in the 3" to 4" thick range with no problems. One of the reasons is that is cures at a lower temperature, and also has a lower heat deformation temperature that is right at the same temperature. It begins its cure in the 150F and tapers off to about 135F which is the deformation temp for the fully cured S41.

Silmar 40 (Sil 95BA-40) is a less thick casting/laminating (water clear) resin. It can be used for casting items 2" or less. It needs to be cast in a mold with a waterjacket or undercatalysed to reduce the heat. It can crack due to the high exotherm (heat) if care is not taken during curing. It kicks off it's cure at approx 240F which slowly tapers off to around 170F which is where the deformation temp is for the fully cured S40.

The 2 resins can be blended and Silmar makes a blend commercially which has a deformation temp of 150F. All of the formulations of the S40/41/5x should only carry or take a pigment/filler load of 5%-7%.

I'm still tryig to get the S40, because it has a higher heat deformation temp. All the other characteristics are the same as S41. Some people have complained about leaving their fine handmade pens in their car and it becoming deformed or imprinted with the seat or dash pattern from the heat.

The alternative is to change to a Swing or Onyx resin. Silmar Swing and Onyx resins are less clear, but have higher heat deformation temperatures (in the 200F range), and they can take pigment/filler loads of 50%-70%. They have a higher viscosity and will keep pigments in suspension better. They will also "swirl" better as they do not inter-mix as easily when one pours various color blends together.

Bruce

Just to be clear- the problems I am having are with direct shipments from Silmar to the local Silmar distributor in Jacksonville, and with the State distributor Florida Fiberglass in Tampa. The one and only Silmar salesman for Florida, John Coates, keeps tossing the distributors under the bus by taking their orders for product that the distibutor has a contract to carry(any and all Silmar products) and Silmar has a contract to supply then doesn't. I have had an order in for 4 months(since January) for S40, (remember it is one of their best selling most popular resins). Silmar agreed to provide it in 5gal pails. They have "lost" the order even though they provided a confirmation #, then claimed they shipped the order, but the product isn't on the shipping waybill. Then claimed they are backordered 3 weeks, now are just not responding and John Coates is dodging the local suppliers calls. The problem may be resolved if I am willing to take a drum at around $1300.00

I have been trying to order direct through the local distributor because the cost for a 5 gal pail is $126.00 and I don't have to pay shipping or hazmat. That is if Silmar will ever fill the order.

Again US Composites is not involved in this problem.

mick

Silmar 41 (Sil 95BA-41) is a thick casting/laminating (water clear) resin. It can be used to cast objects in the 3" to 4" thick range with no problems. One of the reasons is that is cures at a lower temperature, and also has a lower heat deformation temperature that is right at the same temperature. It begins its cure in the 150F and tapers off to about 135F which is the deformation temp for the fully cured S41.

Silmar 40 (Sil 95BA-40) is a less thick casting/laminating (water clear) resin. It can be used for casting items 2" or less. It needs to be cast in a mold with a waterjacket or undercatalysed to reduce the heat. It can crack due to the high exotherm (heat) if care is not taken during curing. It kicks off it's cure at approx 240F which slowly tapers off to around 170F which is where the deformation temp is for the fully cured S40.

The 2 resins can be blended and Silmar makes a blend commercially which has a deformation temp of 150F. All of the formulations of the S40/41/5x should only carry or take a pigment/filler load of 5%-7%.

I'm still tryig to get the S40, because it has a higher heat deformation temp. All the other characteristics are the same as S41. Some people have complained about leaving their fine handmade pens in their car and it becoming deformed or imprinted with the seat or dash pattern from the heat.

The alternative is to change to a Swing or Onyx resin. Silmar Swing and Onyx resins are less clear, but have higher heat deformation temperatures (in the 200F range), and they can take pigment/filler loads of 50%-70%. They have a higher viscosity and will keep pigments in suspension better. They will also "swirl" better as they do not inter-mix as easily when one pours various color blends together.

So if you were casting colored blanks it wouldn't really matter if it wasn't as clear? Also the ability to take a higher load of pigments would make for a more opaque blank....right? Plus having a higher heat deformation would be a good thing.

So if you were casting colored blanks it wouldn't really matter if it wasn't as clear? Also the ability to take a higher load of pigments would make for a more opaque blank....right? Plus having a higher heat deformation would be a good thing.

Yes, you are correct for the minor change in clarity, casting pigmented blanks using a Swing or Onyx resin would not be a problem. The ability of the Swing and Onyx resins to take higher fill and pigment loads means that you don't have to be so constrained in your filler, and as such the resin does not become brittle/frangible/fragile from the extra load like S40/41/5x can if one exceeds its load limits.

With the Swing and Onyx resins you can make your castings more opaque. Again they also are a thicker(viscous) resin so "swirling" colors means you can have greater layer definition.

Having a higher heat deformation is definatley a good thing.

its_virgil

Thanks Charles for the excellent information. I cast only snake skins and computer labels. I started by using whatever Douglas and Sturgess sells then navigated to Silmar 41 from MrFiberglass. Later I purchased S41 form Composites One in FT. Worth in 5 gallon buckets. Composites One changed from S41 (now I may know why) to a swing resin. On the can's label for Product Name is 040-6005 Swing Resin. Both Roy aka Oklahoman and I really really really like the swing resin for our snake skin blanks. Now, Composites One has changed to yet another resin that is not satisfactory for clear casting.

Would you have any info on the 040-6005 swing resin? Where else can we purchase it? Who else sells it or an equivalent product? Thanks for your past help with understanding resin casting. The information you interject into these posts has been very helpful.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Snippit!

Would you have any info on the 040-6005 swing resin? Where else can we purchase it? Who else sells it or an equivalent product? Thanks for your past help with understanding resin casting. The information you interject into these posts has been very helpful.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don, I am sorry I am not familiar with that product #. Do you happen to have an MSDS for that particular resin on hand? That would at least identify the manufacturer. Then we could call them for distribution information.

jleiwig

Thanks Charles for the excellent information. I cast only snake skins and computer labels. I started by using whatever Douglas and Sturgess sells then navigated to Silmar 41 from MrFiberglass. Later I purchased S41 form Composites One in FT. Worth in 5 gallon buckets. Composites One changed from S41 (now I may know why) to a swing resin. On the can's label for Product Name is 040-6005 Swing Resin. Both Roy aka Oklahoman and I really really really like the swing resin for our snake skin blanks. Now, Composites One has changed to yet another resin that is not satisfactory for clear casting.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

That is a Cook Composites number. They may have changed their formulations as they no longer list that on their website. As far as I know, Composites one is their only distributor.

its_virgil

OKLAHOMAN

Charles, As Don has said we both have been using swing resin from Composites one and love it, your info sure has opened my eyes onto the differences in S40-S41-swing or Onyx, now the quest begins to find a replacement for swing resin....

Top Bottom