Steel City model 20530 17" drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I'm going to give my drill press to the Lighthouse for the Blind turning project that I work with here in Phoenix, and I'm looking for a replacement. I want one with a longer quill travel, and this one seems to have the best "bang for the buck" in the long-quill-travel category. My Rigid granite top table saw is supposedly a Steel City product, under the orange paint, and it has been stellar. Woodcraft has it for $699.

Anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I bought it today...It had a $50 rebate on it and only one left in stock. My husband says it is my Valentine's Day present! There is a man who really knows what his wife loves!

Now I have to put it together. It has been improved! It now is variable speed 500-2500 rpm, and has a 1.5 hp motor. So I got it for $650. And Center for the Blind has already picked up the old one. They were really excited to have it.

Tom T

Sharon,
That is a good thing you did. Thank you for encouraging the rest of us. And the other member wow. This is a nice sight to be on.

sbwertz

Stuff bought for Center for the Blind turning project

Here is what I was able to get with the generous donation from an IAP member

Rikon low speed grinder
Wolverine sharpening system
Drill press table
centering pen vise
roughing gouge
big set of drill bits
set of punches
center finder
10 Gatsby kits
10 trimline kits
7mm starter set with 8 kits, 3 sets of bushings, and 10 cocobolo blanks.

In addition, another IAP member sent me a LFRB with about 200 pen blanks!

Also, Lighthouse project in Tampa sent 50 slimline kits, I bought 20, and Woodcraft gave me a 50 percent discount on 20 slimline kits and 2 free mandrels. Woodcraft already donated a lot of kits to get them started, along with a complete set of Easy Tools, a pen press, a pen drilling chuck, a jacobs chuck, and a set of pen turning tools and other misc. tools. AAW gave them the lathe and a scroll chuck.

When I go Thursday, I will get some pictures of the turners and post them, and when all the stuff gets here (most ordered online) I will post a picture of all our "loot."

Sharon

Last edited:

Fish30114

Sharon, I haven't been able to discern this from what I've seen on the various sites selling the Steel City press, but does it have a digital readout, and how is speed altered--do you still have to move the belt from pulley to pulley?

Congrats on your new acquisition and good on you and the donor of all the gear you listed--nice to hear of gestures like that.

sbwertz

Sharon, I haven't been able to discern this from what I've seen on the various sites selling the Steel City press, but does it have a digital readout, and how is speed altered--do you still have to move the belt from pulley to pulley?

Congrats on your new acquisition and good on you and the donor of all the gear you listed--nice to hear of gestures like that.

Sorry I'm so late answering this...it got lost in the shuffle!

It does not have a digital readout and you do not have to move the belts. You have to release a brake, turn on the lathe and change the speed with a dial, then retighten the brake.

Fish30114

Thanks Sharon, that's good intel, but to be honest I just ordered a Powermatic 2800B on Monday, the last day of the Jet/Powermatic 15% off sale. It looks pretty awesome--they had one where I took a class recently, and it was the one Nick Cook had and recommended--so I gave it a whirl.

Regards--Don

Top Bottom