Jet 8 inch Slow Speed Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I have the model Woodcraft sold before the Rikon. I'm guessing it's virtually the same. Mine sharpens my tools great. I really don't know what the extra $200 gets you. I would bet the Jet is better, but for a home shop, I'll bet the Rikon is more than enough. If I were going to pay that much, I'd probably pay a little more for the small Tormek.

TonyL

Thank you. I just had a very enlightening conversations with a technician from OneWay.
Prefers a regular or variable speed grinder as long as the wheels are balance. Would only use the slow speed for carbon steel. Says you don't have to spend much....go to a big box store and find one. Interesting.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Buy the Rikon from woodcraft and order a CBN wheel. You'll be ahead of the game and get better results. I like jet products, but not at a $200 difference for something I'm not using for extended hours each day. Just my opinion.

TimS124

Rockler's page says there's an extra $60 shipping charge. The Rikon at Woodcraft has been on sale several times lately for $99. So the price difference is close to $300....I'd go with the Rikon (on sale) and put the extra money towards CBN wheels!

There were Rikon grinders with CBN wheel in use at last week's Oregon Woodturning Symposium. The grinders start a bit slow due to the extra weight of the wheels but sharpen very nicely. Stuart Batty lightly grumbled about the slower start time but said he'd just leave it running if it were in his shop so it wouldn't be an issue (i.e.: problem easily solved).

Top Bottom