Steb Live Centre

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does any one have one of these for sale, or know where to get one in an MT2.

Lin.
I purchased a Robert Sorby ½" Steb Centre MT2 from BB Tools in Ajax ON. It's not exactly the same as the one you show, but it works well for me!

I think Sorby has the patent for the "Stebcentre"!
attachment.php

Attachments

• steb centre 005 (Small).jpg
    steb centre 005 (Small).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:

LagniappeRob

Duh... nevermind didn't realize it was a LIVE not DRIVE center.

But for others looking for drive here's my original post:

Amazon carries a couple of the other PSI's in MT2 but not that one...

PSI Woodworking LCENTSS22 No. 2 MT with 1-Inch Crown Super Wood Lathe Drive Center - Amazon.com

PSI Woodworking LCENTSS21 #2 MT with 5/8-Inch Crown Super Wood Lathe Drive Center - Amazon.com

Both are cheaper from Amazon than from PSI direct (~$13 vs $20 as I write this), plus if you have Prime, free 2 day air

Last edited:

lorbay

I took a Cindy Drozda work shop a while back she uses them all the time for her finials and in this projects just to name a few. When she does the really small finial the 1/2" live steb centre puts less pressure on the wood than a pointed live centre. You can get away with a cup centre but the steb is better.
Lin

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I took a Cindy Drozda work shop a while back she uses them all the time for her finials and in this projects just to name a few. When she does the really small finial the 1/2" live steb centre puts less pressure on the wood than a pointed live centre. You can get away with a cup centre but the steb is better.
Lin
Hi Lin; That makes things much clearer! And you definitely know what you want and need.

Sorry, I can't help you in this regard. Maybe Cindy can!

airborne_r6

Does any one have one of these for sale, or know where to get one in an MT2.

Lin.

The problem I have run into finding one is the size of the crown. I want a 1/2" crown center. The only 1/2" crown MT2 live steb center I have found is from Sorby and you can get it at CSUSA:
Robert-Sorby-Stebcenter-Crown-Revolving-Center

The cheapest option I have come up with is to buy a 1/2" crown MT1 live steb center and buy an MT2 to MT1 reducer.
Turners-Select-Morse-Taper-Reducer

Why would anyone want a live steb center, I can't see any reason for one.

My thoughts exactly. :confused:

I like the retractable spring center point in them.

I turn all my blanks round as the first step and like a center point to ensure I get my center exactly where I want. On a couple of blanks I was worried I was going to split the blank by the time I got enough pressure from a point center to keep the blank from spinning.

Wildman

Would ¾" work as well as ½" MT-2 step center?

Super Drive Revolving Tailstock Center: #2MT - 3/4" dia at Penn State Industries

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Sorby Steb Drive Centers

Robert Sorby Stebcenter Crown Revolving Center | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

Can use a step center in either head or tailstock in ideal world would have both drive and live step center for different turnings. Not sure if Sorby has a patent on step centers because lot of them made in China today and sell for lot less than Sorby step centers.

When got into wood turning step centers sold for a lot less and still made in England. Only other professional woodturner I know advocating using them was Rude Osolnik. I have made do without either drive or live step centers. Would owning step center make life easier, sure for some things I turn but not all?

airborne_r6

Would ¾" work as well as ½" MT-2 step center?

Super Drive Revolving Tailstock Center: #2MT - 3/4" dia at Penn State Industries

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Sorby Steb Drive Centers

Robert Sorby Stebcenter Crown Revolving Center | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

Can use a step center in either head or tailstock in ideal world would have both drive and live step center for different turnings. Not sure if Sorby has a patent on step centers because lot of them made in China today and sell for lot less than Sorby step centers.

When got into wood turning step centers sold for a lot less and still made in England. Only other professional woodturner I know advocating using them was Rude Osolnik. I have made do without either drive or live step centers. Would owning step center make life easier, sure for some things I turn but not all?

3/4" won't work for my, I quite often turn by blanks down to between 5/8" and 1/2" inch before drilling to get a better idea of what it looks like inside. I don't know if it will work for the OP.

I have made due without one. Honestly I have only run into one blank where I really needed it. It is just something I would like but don't need enough to pay $50-$70 dollars for.

Wildman

Mack C., we disagree! Don't think getting off the beaten path.

Many wood turners buy step drive centers to replace those lousy four prong drive centers that comes with their lathe.

Rude, recommended step drive center years ago. Cindy is recommending both a 1/2" drive & live step center if you have them. She has Sorby step centers!

I can see having both style step centers and would prefer Sorby only because my main vendors Craft Supplies & Packard Woodworks sell them. I like the ½" size for same reason Cindy recommends them.

Really off topic, because do not want to pay $20 or over $70 for a step center I make my own MT-2 wood centers for special purposes. They work well in either head/tail stock. So yes having both style step centers would make life easier.

nava1uni

I use a live Steb center and have for a long time. I use it to turn large blanks round. It is a safe method of turning and causes less stress on the wood. I took a class with Jerry Kermode years ago and he recommended using one. I really like it.

philb

I have asteb live centre. The steb, short razors points aren't live. They are solid like a normal 4-prong centre, but the sprung point is live?

Makes it so a piece can be removed without even slowing the lathe down, just back off the tail pressure? These centres are really good as you don't need to hammer them into a piece for grip, the little teeth only go a couple of turns in and are gripped rock solid! Can also hold PR & Resin for turning without cracking?

lorbay

I have asteb live centre. The steb, short razors points aren't live. They are solid like a normal 4-prong centre, but the sprung point is live?

Makes it so a piece can be removed without even slowing the lathe down, just back off the tail pressure? These centres are really good as you don't need to hammer them into a piece for grip, the little teeth only go a couple of turns in and are gripped rock solid! Can also hold PR & Resin for turning without cracking?
That is not a steb live centre its a dead centre. I need the live one. CSUSA has them but they are out + the shipping is crazy right now. Lee Valley has the Sorby dead ones but not the live.

Lin.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That is not a steb live centre its a dead centre. I need the live one. CSUSA has them but they are out + the shipping is crazy right now. Lee Valley has the Sorby dead ones but not the live.

Lin.
My wish list on CS USA shows 3 steb live centres in stock!

Top Bottom