need a chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I picked up an older Rockwell lathe in great shape (I could not find a model number). It does not have a chuck, the guy I purchased it from showed me the one he has and he highly recommended it. So I am looking for a Oneway chuck that uses two metal rods to open the jaws not a chuck key. Or a good quality chuck.
I know I will need to know the thread size so how do I figure that out?
Any help will be much appreciated

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I believe those lathes are all 1 x 8tpi. Very common size.

I have an old delta/Rockwell.

I have the nova g3 and no complaints. Oneway makes good chucks too.

Some chucks have a permanent threading but most of the quality ones take an adapter so you can use the chuck in any lathe in the future.

I don't know why you'd want the tommy bars over the key. Key works well and can be tightened one handed.

Wildman

Would bet you have 1" x 8 TPI too! Why not call the guy and ask, or measure diameter of spindle.

Tommy bar chuck less expensive than single key chucks and almost all chuck manufacturers offer one in their line-up. With thinner profile and lighter weight excellent choice for older and mini lathes.

Many 3" or 4" single key chucks should also work well on your lathe.

I like both style chucks so shop around for best price. Only other consideration is look for a chuck that will allow you to change threaded inserts if later upgrade to lathe with bigger or smaller spindle.

I am not a big fan of PSI chucks because cannot upgrade to larger size threaded insert. Like Nova, Oneway, and Vicmarc chucks because of jaw selection and ability of upgrading threaded insert.

Good luck with your new lathe.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source

Pen Making, Bowl Turning, Wood Lathes, Wood Blanks, and Turning Tools for Woodturners | Craft Supplies USA

Woodworking Plans & Tools | Fine Woodworking Project & Supplies at Woodcraft

MarkD

My 1950-1960 vintage Rockwell lathe has a 1x8 spindle. I have a Oneway Talon chuck that I use on it. One nice feature of the Oneway chucks is that you can replace the threaded adapter to a different size if you ever change lathes.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Atlas/Craftsman and others make 1 x 8 3 jaw chucks for metal lathes that you can use as well. Check ebay for a good used chuck. Also Beal and others make an er32 collet chuck for that thread.

Top Bottom