Statesman End Cap problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have turned several Statesman pens - I really like the components and they sell well for me. But here is a problem. I have recently had problems with the fit on the end cap. I turn it down to the bushing, mic it to make sure it fits the parts, sand it and all looks good. I checked the bushings for being concentric(?) and when I assemble the end cap it is like it is off center. Proud on one side and low on the other. Or proud on one side and flush on the other. I use TBC bushings and even rotate them from head to tail stock when I get close.
This has happened maybe 6-7 times in the past 6 months.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I tend to use expensive blanks on these and am getting scared!!
Thanks for your help.

johnnycnc

you checked blanks od size and bushings concentricity. have you checked the kit components.
have you checked wall thickness with calipers on the ends of the blanks after turned. 12-3-6-9 o' clock.
has anything changed with your end squaring.
are the blanks harder to press on.
good luck!

edstreet

The hardness of the blank material itself needs to be looked at, If say at 3 o'clock the material is very soft while 7 o'clock to 12 o'clock it's hard then your areas that will erode faster is 12 to 3. They will erode faster depending on your sanding method.

Buildup on the bushings will cause this, not only the insert sections but the gap and the index point area.

Buildup on the live center as well causes this.

Top Bottom