Starting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

I am thinking of starting to cast in clear and was wondering what kind of results I could get if I bought some silmar 41, a resin saver, and went at it? I don't want to have to deal with the pressure pots and such, I was wondering if I could make do like this. Couldn't I just manipulate bubbles out of the way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

I am thinking of starting to cast in clear and was wondering what kind of results I could get if I bought some silmar 41, a resin saver, and went at it? I don't want to have to deal with the pressure pots and such, I was wondering if I could make do like this. Couldn't I just manipulate bubbles out of the way?

I use castin' craft resin, and usually homemade molds. I also use vibration, and wrote a tutorial on it. Heres a link to it, it's not in the library:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81377
You might get some bubbles, but not too many.

Mapster

That is great, just the kind of thing I was looking for. So you make your own vibrating table, makes sense. Thanks for the tutorial

wiset1

I use a resin saver and basic resin from Michaels. In the past I bought from pen companies, but found I would rather have money for kits. Plus Michaels has coupons for days where you can get stuff 40% to 60% off. I simply heat the resin inside of another cup of hot water to thin it out and that pretty much does away with any bubbles for me. Hope that helps

navycop

I too use the resin from Michaels (I don't do enough to justify a big 5 gal can) also the molds from ptownsubbie. Never had any problem with bubbles.

SDB777

If you do get a few bubbles, CA glue will fix them right up.

Got all the stuff, just haven't found time to do any.... And now with it getting cooler outside, I sure don't want to smell PR in the house(okay, I wouldn't care but the wife would kill me)!

Scott :)eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:) B

Mapster

So I am assuming it is the Castin' Craft Clear Casting Resin that you guys are referring to, that was the only resin I found on Michaels. I also found a 40% off coupon, so I am thinking of jumping into it. Sounds like a fun thing to do, and I would greatly enjoy being able to make my own blanks. Thanks for the tips and tricks.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I would do just as you said. I would go with the Silmar 41. I have
used the Castn Craft in a pinch, but I don't like to do that. You never
know how long that stuff has been sitting on the shelf, it's usually more
expensive (even with coupons) since you have to buy the catalyst
separately.

As mentioned, just warm up the resin in a cup. It gets watery (compared
to cold resin which has a honey-like consistency) and bubbles don't stay
submerged in water. (but they do in honey!)

You don't have to get it hot, just warm. Flows like water after that, so
you may not need to manipulate bubbles at all... there may not be any.

Mapster

Thanks NewLondon, I think I may start with a little Castin Craft and if I think I will cast more move up to the silmar. It is easier since it is local. Good tips though. Definitely buy the resin savers though, I think they are great!

I would do just as you said. I would go with the Silmar 41. I have
used the Castn Craft in a pinch, but I don't like to do that. You never
know how long that stuff has been sitting on the shelf, it's usually more
expensive (even with coupons) since you have to buy the catalyst
separately.

As mentioned, just warm up the resin in a cup. It gets watery (compared
to cold resin which has a honey-like consistency) and bubbles don't stay
submerged in water. (but they do in honey!)

You don't have to get it hot, just warm. Flows like water after that, so
you may not need to manipulate bubbles at all... there may not be any.

Charlie: Do you add color & catalyst after you warm the PR???

biednick

That is great, just the kind of thing I was looking for. So you make your own vibrating table, makes sense. Thanks for the tutorial
Not a problem, i saw other people mention warming the resin, if you combine that with vibration, you shouldn't get any at all. I use vibration for feathers and fishing flies, I got 1 bubble once. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

Top Bottom