Starting Bowl Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbostian

jbostian

I am looking to try turning bowls very soon. I am looking for some suggestions on what type of wood to start with. Is there a wood that is some what easier to turn? Also any suggestions for sources of bowl blanks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

1. Hardwoods in general cut well and have fewer problems with tearout

2. Cheap wood is a good place to start - buy your lessons for low cost and do not learn on fancy wood.

3. Green wood is easier to cut and learn on than dried wood. Green wood also tends to meet criteria 2. Tree salvage is a good place to get wood for practice - split down the pith and practice.

4. Start between centers and then move to either faceplate/blocks or a scroll chuck. This is not the only way, but is the most safety conservative way. In any case position yourself out of the "line of fire" in case something comes loose.

5. Get a couple of bowl gouges and learn to use them. I also use carbide insert tools but the bowl gouges will give you more options and opportunities so start there and then go to carbides.

6. safety -- keep the tool rest close, practice ABC, and keep out of the line of fire. Be conservative with mounting and use tape to reinforce as needed.

7. Read a lot and do not assume. Did I note something about staying out of the line of fire because wood will fly apart sometimes.

8. Get a mentor or buy a couple of classes to make learning faster. AAW Chapters and turning clubs are great places to get cheap instructions.

Last edited:

JimB

I used Mahogany for my first bowls and still use it occassionally. The local Woodcraft buys it in bulk and sells it very cheap. You can also use any type of log (firewood) you have laying around. Probably half of what I turn for bowls is just logs I have picked up. You will want to be able to cut them some how to get them round and balanced so you don't get a lot of vibration. Also use a full face shield, especially with logs as a lot of 'stuff' can come flying off them.

My fist bowls were faceplate mounted. Do NOT use wood screws, they will break. Also, do not use your pen turning tools. You need tools that are made for bowl turning - bowl gouge(s).

seawolf

I second the advice on going to the tree disposal yard. You can find green wood all the time and well seasond wood on occasion. Firewood lots can turn up some real nice pieces also. Read all you can then practice. Work safe and did I say practice.
Mark

Mac

Any free wood is good to practice on.
Green turns the easiest, and is good to start on ,so you will have your technique down, when you try some rough and tough dry wood,that you have purchased.
If you can not find free wood ,find a firewood dealer in your area. I am sure you can get some from them before they split it, barter or buy and give them a card so they can call you if they run accross something enteresting say cedar ,walnut ,splated maple or etc...You never know until you ask.

arkie

The "free" and "green" advice is very good. Whether buying or scrounging, it's very hard to argue with the maples. It turns nicely green or seasoned, generally behaves well while drying, and makes a good utility use bowl. If you can't turn maple, you won't turn much else.

nava1uni

Besides thinking about wood it is also a good idea to think about taking a class, getting a mentor or someone who can show you the correct way to turn bowls so you don't get hurt.

jbostian

Thats a good idea. I have looked into the local AAW chapter but haven't been able to make a meeting yet.

Jamie

Besides thinking about wood it is also a good idea to think about taking a class, getting a mentor or someone who can show you the correct way to turn bowls so you don't get hurt.

JimB

You can also look at the public schools for adult education. I did it here taking a bowl turning class for 8 Monday evenings, 3 hours per day. Yep, 24 hours of classes and it only cost $95. It was VERY cheap compared to other alternatives. Since the class was in the High School wood shop every student had a lathe. The instructor was not the shop teacher but rather a turner with 25 years expereince.

jbostian

I will have to look around and see if that is offered anyhwere close to me. At $95 that is a heck of a deal. I think the only classes I had found close to me were through the local Woodcraft. I was thinking about taking that but the dates of the class wouldn't work for me.

Thanks,
Jamie

You can also look at the public schools for adult education. I did it here taking a bowl turning class for 8 Monday evenings, 3 hours per day. Yep, 24 hours of classes and it only cost $95. It was VERY cheap compared to other alternatives. Since the class was in the High School wood shop every student had a lathe. The instructor was not the shop teacher but rather a turner with 25 years expereince.

bgibb42

I'll add my two cents here. I've only attempted a couple of bowls, but I have done a tremendous amount of reading about the subject. The one piece of advice that immediately stands out in my mind is this--start with a platter. You will use most of the same techniques as with bowl turning, but without the tighter spaces. Then work your way into deeper and more complex shapes.

Top Bottom