Starting Advice Requested

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeremy

Hey guys. I'm just gearing up to start turning. Right now, I'm working on restoring a Delta Rockwell 46-111 lathe. It's a 12" swing 1x8TPI #2 MT lathe. I just learned all those terms in the last few days :) I should have it done in two weeks, max. Waiting on replacement bearings and derusting/repainting everything.

So to get to the point, this lathe didn't come with anything at all. No faceplates, no centers, nothing. Just some toolrests and itself. I've the benefit of starting from absolute scratch and having your guidance so I don't buy things I don't need or things that don't really work. I do have a 5 piece "Beginning Turners HSS Set" with red handles from Woodcraft. I picked them up on sale a few years ago when I thought I was getting a lathe. Didn't work out.

For reference I have a well equipped shop already. Big bandsaw, cabinet saw, flloor standing drill press...The works. Just new to this round stuff. I've done a little reading here last night. So far I've picked up turning between centers is good. Slimlines are hard. CA is good. But I don't know some of the terminology yet.

What I'd really appreciate is someone saying: "To make and assemble a pen from start to finish starting from nothing you need the following, and here's why". I was looking at this:

http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_19&products_id=165

Is Sierra a good place to start? Where should I buy the kits? Help :eek:

Edit: Thought I'd throw in a before picture of my lathe. After picture will come...Well, after.

799156078_3akzv-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Lenny

Well you NEED a 60 degree live center whatever way you go (between centers or with a mandrel).. you NEED a 60 degree dead center for TBC, you don't absolutely need the special bushings although you will probably want them at some point anyway :biggrin:.
The sierras are a good kit to start with, easy to turn and economical as you get two from a typical pen blank.
You will also need a smaller tool rest, 6" for turning with a mandrel or more like 3" or so for TBC. (members johnnycnc, rherrel offer them)
Your chisels should be just fine for starting out but you will need a way to sharpen them. Lathe tools need to be sharp and sharpened often.
You will also need a barrel trimmer or some other way to trim the pen tubes to lenth. Daniel, a member here had some for sale, you might check with him.
When you get your centers, slide the tailstock up to the headstock and check that the two points of the centers align. Important for good results
One of the best things you can do you have already done... your here! :biggrin:

JimB

Welcome to the group. Others have already given you info for starting with pens so I'll just add that if you are going to try anything larger, such as bowls, you will want to add some weight to the base/shelf of the stand.

Top Bottom