Stain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I don't know the answer for certain, but I can tell you that finishes such as Enduro add a slight amount of dye in their formulation for clear polyurethane. Many pen makers I know use Enduro as their finish for just this reason, that the dye adds a bit of color, or pizzazz to the completed pen. This product might give you just what you're looking for. My knowledge of how to do it yourself is too limited to be of help, should you go that way. If you decide to do so, please report your findings, as I am sure many of us will be interested in how it turns out.

Wildman

Dye or stain need contact time on wood to penetrate wood grain/fibers to be effective. Even stains that do not penetrate wood surface much need contact time.

You can add color (dye, stain, paint) to most clear topcoat finishes and darken or lighten color of finish on wood. Must allow finish time to dry and cure.

How much color change will you impart to wood adding stain to friction polish where technique pretty much wipe on wipe off? Depending upon type of dye or stain used might see or not some color change.

I would apply dye or stain first to get consistent results then apply friction polish.

Top Bottom