New with CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Younka

Hi, im wondering if you guys can help me with a CA glue finish, right now i put about 10-15 coats on I sand after every coat with 2000 grit sandpaper, is what I am doing right? Also can you please tell me some good techniques?

Thanks
Logan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Cap'n Eddie on Youtube has a great vid. That is where I got my training. I only do CA, I started with it. I also ruined many blanks in my quest for glass but I found it. Good luck.

U-Turn

Looked at YouTube and got some ideas - kept messing around with it till I got what works for me. I do 4 coats of thin, 4 coats of medium, sand with 400 grit till the gloss is gone and polish it out. Works great.

Joe Burns

Hi Logan, you didnt say what the result is your getting.

1. I turn the blank down to even or slightly lower than the bushings.
  2. Sand blank with 240, 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper and clean with denatured alcohol.
  3. Apply 10 coats of medium CA. I dont sand between coats. Try to be as smooth as you can here. I use delrin bushings here.
  4. I then change back to the regular steel bushings and may use the skew to lightly scrape the edges back to the bushings. Careful here as I have chipped off the finish and had to start over.
  5. Then I wet sand with micro-mesh.
  6. Apply hut plastic polish.
  7. Then use a two-wheel Beal buffer on the lathe to put the final polish and remove the micro scratches.
You will find people have several different ways of applying CA. This works for me. Once you get the techniques down you will find it straight forward for the most part. I messed up the first couple of pens I tried with it, but have been pleased with the results since. I struggle with the fit at the edges with a CA finish as they tend to be slightly high for me.

Joe

Top Bottom