Stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Klanham

Lots of research on the web and I'm still confused. What material to use for vacuum/pressure stabilizing. Resinol? Acryloid? Resolute? Other?

I've purchased (probably from some of you) various stabilized blanks. Some are brilliantly done with good solid structure throughout. Excellent color, turn beautifully, so on and so on. Others have been (sorry to say ) junk. These look like at best someone soaked them in polyurethane. Brittle, chip out, beautiful white spalted maple "stabilized" into a grey hunk of gritty .......you get the idea.

Who can tell me what material to use, where to get it, and hopefully a picture or two to support the results.

Druid

There are a number of folks here that do a good job stabilizing wood. I know Constant (Lazerlinez) provides an excellent service and produces quality stabilized material. I personally have a large labratory vacuum chamber and use Resignol or Ultraseal depending on the material and achieve very good consistant results.

http://forum.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=897627

Hope this helps.

Lots of research on the web and I'm still confused. What material to use for vacuum/pressure stabilizing. Resinol? Acryloid? Resolute? Other?

I've purchased (probably from some of you) various stabilized blanks. Some are brilliantly done with good solid structure throughout. Excellent color, turn beautifully, so on and so on. Others have been (sorry to say ) junk. These look like at best someone soaked them in polyurethane. Brittle, chip out, beautiful white spalted maple "stabilized" into a grey hunk of gritty .......you get the idea.

Who can tell me what material to use, where to get it, and hopefully a picture or two to support the results.

Top Bottom