Stabilized duck..CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Last year @ The SWAT Symposium @ Waco, I bought a piece of buckeye burl from a vendor located just west of the escalators. I am curious, should the blank be finished with CA to insure it being water repellant or does thet stabilizing product make it water proof already? Need advice!

Attachments

• BUCKEYE.JPG
    BUCKEYE.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 230

KenV

Phillip --

I have had stabilized wood that polished well and have had it that was dull and fuzzy without a finish applied. The density of the wood, and how many dense spots were in the piece makes a difference. That appears to be " worthless wood" and I cannot tell from the photo if the wood was processed with resin or which one.

Given the bad experiences with differences in "resin take", I will usually just go ahead an put a top coat finish and buff it out. If you have a good hand with CA, that is a fine way to go.

Vendor!

Thanks for the input! I was hoping someone would know who that vendor might have been! I lost my receipt & don't remember what company provided the blanks! I really wanted to call & ask advice from the vendor & info. about the resin!:)

Phillip --

I have had stabilized wood that polished well and have had it that was dull and fuzzy without a finish applied. The density of the wood, and how many dense spots were in the piece makes a difference. That appears to be " worthless wood" and I cannot tell from the photo if the wood was processed with resin or which one.

Given the bad experiences with differences in "resin take", I will usually just go ahead an put a top coat finish and buff it out. If you have a good hand with CA, that is a fine way to go.

The Penguin

I'm not sure where "west of the elevators" was - but stabilized buckeye and worthless wood together lead me to believe you purchased from NW Figured Woods.

I believe those particular blanks were made for them by Tom Stone @ Beyond Wood Products - you can look him up on the web or on Facebook

I believe Tom stabilizes using Cactus Juice...but the type of resin is probably immaterial. Stabilizing doesn't make the wood "waterproof" - it does make it water-resistant.

Top Bottom