Collected Some More Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We spent the weekend at our pecan farm in Columbus & one of the things I did was to cut up & stack another large limb that had fallen from one of our old native trees.

I harvested a few small burls from that limb and also cut one small section of the limb in half to see what was inside. This piece was about 12" in diameter & about 15" long, so I've got two nice chunks like this and I haven't even looked inside the rest of the limb yet. It was about 30' long and nearly 18" in diameter where it broke loose, so there should be a lot more like this.

Somehow, I seem to be collecting this stuff faster than I can process it. Hard to pass up nice wood though.

Edgar

Attachments

• Burls.jpg
    Burls.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Spalted.jpg
    Spalted.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

We spent the weekend at our pecan farm in Columbus & one of the things I did was to cut up & stack another large limb that had fallen from one of our old native trees.

I harvested a few small burls from that limb and also cut one small section of the limb in half to see what was inside. This piece was about 12" in diameter & about 15" long, so I've got two nice chunks like this and I haven't even looked inside the rest of the limb yet. It was about 30' long and nearly 18" in diameter where it broke loose, so there should be a lot more like this.

Somehow, I seem to be collecting this stuff faster than I can process it. Hard to pass up nice wood though.

Edgar

Humm...! someone is learning something...!:wink:

Beautiful stuff and if you make some large bowl blanks, you go through lots of logs very quickly, pen blanks, you may have them coming out of your nostrils...!:eek::)

There is always the possibility to cut some and sell it to our friends here, not only pen blanks but, round and spindle blanks, you use most of the wood, you allow many other folks to see, touch, smell your woods that, may have never seen or worked with, and you make a little money to cover your costs and efforts, what's wrong with that...???:biggrin:

Cheers
George

JimB

That will make some excellent bowl blanks. I'm always looking around here for what people are cutting down but I never find anything like that. Nice bowl wood seems to be difficult to find around here.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Edgar

Humm...! someone is learning something...!:wink:

Beautiful stuff and if you make some large bowl blanks, you go through lots of logs very quickly, pen blanks, you may have them coming out of your nostrils...!:eek::)

There is always the possibility to cut some and sell it to our friends here, not only pen blanks but, round and spindle blanks, you use most of the wood, you allow many other folks to see, touch, smell your woods that, may have never seen or worked with, and you make a little money to cover your costs and efforts, what's wrong with that...???:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Thanks George.
I like the way you think! :)

BJohn

I can see a nice bowl coming from that piece. I have the same problem my wood pile is getting bigger and bigger. Wish I had enough time to turn it. Seems like my time is spent collecting. Daughter just cut down an Elm tree that was to close to the new storm shelter. So now I have a pile of real nice looking Elm in the drive way to get blanks from.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I can see a nice bowl coming from that piece. I have the same problem my wood pile is getting bigger and bigger. Wish I had enough time to turn it. Seems like my time is spent collecting. Daughter just cut down an Elm tree that was to close to the new storm shelter. So now I have a pile of real nice looking Elm in the drive way to get blanks from.

I think you'll really enjoy that elm wood. I got a chunk of it last year from a friend who had to cut down an old tree in his yard. It made some great looking pens & stoppers.

Lack of time seems to be a universal malady. :rolleyes:
My wife just shakes her head when I come home with another load of wood.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Those of us who live in the coniferous north envy you - it's pine needles as far as the eye can see up here! :)

Great wood is our reward for putting up with stifling heat & humidity, horse-sized mosquitoes, flat terrain and hurricanes. :wink:

What's our reward for the bitter cold, elephant-sized mosquitos, and record snowfalls? :biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those of us who live in the coniferous north envy you - it's pine needles as far as the eye can see up here! :)

Great wood is our reward for putting up with stifling heat & humidity, horse-sized mosquitoes, flat terrain and hurricanes. :wink:

What's our reward for the bitter cold, elephant-sized mosquitos, and record snowfalls? :biggrin:

Awesome scenery??? :biggrin:

I love to visit your part of the world, but I'm not sure if I'm rugged enough to live there.

Chromey

It rains a bit here sometimes, but we don't shovel it. 30+ years now in P-cola..Too late for me to deal with snow

low_48

Some of those look more like limb overgrowths instead of burls. It's when a branch breaks off and the tree repairs itself. Around here, they are almost always hollow from rot. Will make nice pen blanks, but bowls from those will be small.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Some of those look more like limb overgrowths instead of burls. It's when a branch breaks off and the tree repairs itself. Around here, they are almost always hollow from rot. Will make nice pen blanks, but bowls from those will be small.

I think you're right, Rich. After looking at them a little closer last night, I believe that 2 of them are limb overgrowths & 2 of them are real burls.

I haven't cut into them yet, but thanks for the heads up on what to expect.

Edgar

Top Bottom